1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

<<<< PROPER HANDLING OF MISFIRE / DUD >>>>

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GW22, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I recently experienced a 12ga misfire. I waited 10 seconds, ejected and set the shell aside for later disposal or cut-open. Some guy picked it up and put it in his gun, tried to shoot it but couldn't, then he threw it downrange in the snow. It didn't seem too smart throwing a live shell down range where they'll be mowing the grass in a few months. What is the proper/safe procedure? -Gary

2. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Wow thank you I never would have guessed to wait. I just pulled them out and stuck em in my pocket. Cut them up later and dumped. Again thanks for the info

3. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

A friend a few years ago had a couple of 'failure to fires' with his 22 auto pistol. Well he put the dud rounds in the pocket of his hoodie sweatshirt. Well some time later one of the duds went off! The flash burned his belly! Not just a couple of seconds later but several minutes later. Not a 'cook off' but a delayed hang fire I guess you would call it. Bill

4. GRR

GRR TS Member

Shooting NRA pistol matches back in the 60's we were taught to wait 1 minute before opening action. I have seen hang fires go off after 10 to 15 seconds. The bad thing is when you tell somebody on the line to wait you get some unwanted verbage. They don't believe you and they don't want to hold up the line. But killing someone is ok. If your not sure about something...listen to us old farts that have been there and done that.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

OK so what do you do with the dud after, if you do not cut open, best way to dispose of?

6. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

believe what these guys say. Did not expect to ever have to deal with a misfire. During a round robin competition, I had a spring break during a doubles competition. While the line stopped to let me assess what was causing the failure to fires, it was apparent that I had a malfunction of the gun and could not continue. A kind sole lent me a gun to continue on and provided me with a fistfull of his reloads to replace the loads lost during the testing of my broken gun.
    With the first pair, the new gun malfunctioned like the first, except this time it sounded like a misfire............totally frustrated, I waited about 10 seconds while I turned to the scorer with a look of total exasperation (like how many times over how many guns can this happen to me in one day). Before I got back to dealing with the gun (it remained closed and pointed downrange) it suddenly went off. Everyone on the line wished they had a picture of the look on my face.
    Wait you time, open your gun and for sure, don't throw the offending shell away. Break it down
    d

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

With Duds, you should always cut them open and do the forensics....You should want to know if there was any powder, a bad primer etc....it can be done with any knife or box cutter

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

ok still how does one dispose of failed to fire rounds shotshell or centerfire. Was once told best way to get rid of is throw them in a barel fire

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

We also had duds while firing our 90MM tank guns back in 56-59.

They let them set 15 minutes and then an NCO had to go in and take it out.

Then they would lay them down with the projectile pointed downrange for at least another half hour.

Most were just that, duds. But we did hear of one going off and killing the hapless NCO inside the tank.

Hauxfan!

10. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I also wait...about 10 seconds but maybe I need to increase that after what I have read.

NEVER throw a loaded shell (dud or otherwise) on the field. I also vote to revoke that fella's swim priveledges in the gene pool.

At my club, we have cans nailed to the field safety wall to put duds in. I believe they burn them eventually.

I don't cut them open...there is only one thing I can think of to create a real dud and that's a bad primer. Even with no powder, you can tell if the primer goes off and most times the wad/shot will clear the barrel (but check to make sure, of course).

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Wow, glad I asked. Thanks everybody, Gary

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

How does a shell fire 15 sec or more after hit with the firing pin?

13. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Jerry P, I have always wanted to know the answer to that myself. Good Question.

14. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

"Hang Fires" apply to flintlock mechanisms. I have NEVER seen a hang fire in my 50 years of shooting - including lots of caps busted with a muzzle loader.

If you experience a dud try it again and if it still fails to go off take it home and dismantle it.

Jim Skeel

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Primer ignition is instantaneous. It either ignites or it doesn't. How can their be a mechanical delay? I don't know anything about the military stuff mentioned.

As for the story about 22's, everyone should know they are not to be carried in a pocket. No ammo should be carried in a pocket, especially 22's, along with coins and who knows what all guys carry in their pocket. They can get bumped and it has nothing to do with a "hang fire" situation.

16. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

It was just the two 'dud' 22's in his sweat shirt pocket. I have no idea if the two shells banged around in there and touched off. The moral of the story is don't put them in a pocket with or without coins,keys etc. Just a word to the wise. Hey freak stuff happens.

17. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I still remember the first time I had a hang fire. I was shooting some old shells in a 30-06. I pulled the trigger and heard it snap, I took the gun off my shoulder and about 3 or 4 seconds later went off. I had it happen a couple of other times with the same shells and then I got rid of them. I also had this happen quite a few times in a shotgun. I had several cases of shotgun shells that had been wet (like underwater) about 6 years earlier. One box would go off fine, but the next box might have half of them go off about a second later. We threw them all away after we had a 3 1/2 inch turkey load partially go off and blew the wad down the barrel and then the powder ignited. It was a Benelli pump and it blew the action open and pieces of the shell out the side but did not blow up the gun. The wad was still plugged in the barrel.

So it definitely happens but the majority of the cases it will be a few seconds at most. When it happens to you, you will definitely wait a little longer after that.

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

A round going off without the compression of a chamber or barrel incasement does not pack much punch. We found this out as kids by sticking 12 gauge rounds in the hillside and shooting the primers with our air rifles {the shot or slug barely leaves the hull} One kid used to point his BB in the air and place a 22. cartridge on the end and pull the trigger, we would always find the lead just a few feet away ,but any explosion in hand would not be welcome.

19. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

When I have a misfire or "dud" after waiting 30 seconds I remove the shell from the gun (any and all calibers and gauges) and place them in a small container that I keep in my gun bag filled with Kroil (penatrating oil). This renders the powder charge inert and I won't get the "hang fire" I have heard people talk about. I would recommend to all shooters to keep a small watertight container of penatrating oil in there bags just for this purpose. I don't beleive you can be too cautious with "live ammunition" misfire or not. Larry Lockhart

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

All good info but lets get some clarity - speaking ONLY about good condition factory-loaded shotgun shells (nothing old, wet, corredoed or anything else goofy) - what is the longest period of time anyone has personally seen elapse between the strike of the firing pin and detonation? 5 seconds? 15 seconds? Longer? I want to wait however long is necessary to ensure safety, but I don't want to hold up an entire squad for an unreasonable amount of time because somebody's grandpa heard about a flintlock hangfire 80 years ago when it was raining. Respectfully, Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cook off tank shell misfire

handling dud ammo

how to dispose of misfired shotgun shell

shotgun ammo misfire disposal