1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Proper Gun Mount...Trap vs Skeet, any difference??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Yankee Bill, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill TS Member

Hi Folks,

I used to shoot a fair amount of casual skeet, but due to some back and shoulder issues I haven't shot in a few years. I've been feeling better recently and have joined a new gun club that only has a Trap field, no skeet. I'd like to try my luck at some trap shooting there and was wondering if there is any difference in the proper basic gun mount used in trap vs. skeet? I'm not talking barrel hold points and addressing the trap house from specific stations, etc., just the basic mounting of the gun. I'd imagine it would be the same but I haven't shot trap before so thought I'd ask you folks here.

Appreciate any input you may have to offer.

Thanks,

Bill Cappelli

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Should be the same. The mount is all about getting your head in the right place on the stock, and doing so consistently.

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

Mount is the same, but what you do with your legs is much different. Skeet shooters (the good ones) tend to use their lower body to promote full body swing as to where Trap shooters are all upper body, like a turret on a tank.

4. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill TS Member

Thanks Guys,

I thought it would be the same but figured I'd check with y'all.

5. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill TS Member

Tron,

I've noticed that from watching what few Trap shooting videos I could find online. I wish there were more on youtube etc. I couldn't find very many trap specific videos online when I searched, seems there are mostly Skeet and Sporting vids out there.

YB

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

I would suggest Phil Kiner's Trap video. In my opinion, the most useful information and overal most knowledgable instuctor available. He's a damn nice guy too.

Jb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting propoer gun mound