1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Proper cooking of center cut pork chops

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I need to know how to cook center cut pork chops without drying them out! Do not tell me about fancy seasonings, as I love the pork taste! I just want to know how to cook them 1 1/2-2" thick again, without drying them out but still getting them done! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

crock pot WITH LID ON...put some cream of mushroom soup in with it...cook until tender and it WILL NOT be dry...promise!

Good luck Tom,

milt

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

That thick, brine them like poultry.

Crock pot with mushroom soup is good if you want pork chops that taste like mushroom soup.

4. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Holy crap! keety has an actual productive thought.

Brine is the only way to go. Think of it as an insurance policy that also imparts some flavor in your chops. Here's a simple recipe:

3/4 cup Kosher salt...
    3/4 cup sugar (I use brown)...
    1 cup boiling water (to dissolve the salt and sugar)...
    1 gallon of cold water...
    pepper and/or other seasons you might like (I use a handful of very course chopped mustard seeds).

Brine in fridge at least 2 hours and up to 24.

5. tcr1146

I am interested in the "brine", but I want to know how to cook them without drying them out?! For example, gas grill on very low until done?! Or, hotter than hell to sear the outside to seal in the juices and then real low til done?! Help boys! Tom Rhoads

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Beat up a couple eggs in a large bowl. Dip the pork chops in the beaten eggs. In a flat plate put some flavored bread crumbs, roll the chops around in the bread crumbs until completely breaded. Then place chops in a baking dish with a little olive oil and chopped up garlic cloves. Bake at 360 until done. HMB

7. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

OK here's how to really do it with what you asked for.
    Salt and pepper to taste. Add small amount (just a few table spoons) of good olive oil to a skillet. Cook on medium high heat for about 15 minutes. The trick is to TURN THEM OFTEN or they will burn. I usually trun them about every three minutes. They will be done and taste like pork should taste.

If you want to jazz it up, cut a pocket and stuff with chopped pecans, green onion tops, apple, and a dash of ginger or a chinese sauce with ginger in it. Toothpick the hole and fry as above. Remove chops and deglaze with about 4oz white wine and 4oz orange juice. Stirn in a little corn starch slurry and bring to a boil. Plate the chops and pour sauce over the top. This is heart healthy and fine eating! Baked potato and green beans and you have a $50 resturant meal.

8. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

Charcoal grill,indirect fire ,low temp,
    seasoning of your choice woodchips.
    Jim

9. tcr1146

Jim Porter! You have a pm! Thanks to all for your suggestions! Tom

10. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Tom, pork chops are difficult to achieve moisture as the chop cut has very little fat marbled through the cut. Try this, brown each side with a little flour (or grill 'till each side is seared), then put in crock pot with any moisture you like. Whether it's mushroom soup, white wine and water, water w/olive oil, beef or chicken broth or any combination...should be to your taste. Not only will the cut be moist, but will fall apart if cooked correctly. I like Jim Porter's recipe and will try that one myself.

milt

11. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I do them just like steaks... heat up the grill as hot as it will go. Season to taste.
    Throw the chops on and sear well on each side til well browned. Keep an eye on them as most grills have a wide varience of temps. After seared turn grill to low place chops on top rack for about. 5-7 minutes. Remove and cover or wrap. Let chops rest for 3-4 minutes. Everyone ask me how to do you get your chops so moist??? Just like that!!

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Like Ken said, for grilling meat. The key is to not overcook them. Let the cooking process end while resting. Meat still cooks to the center, with the heat still tranfering to the center. If you can, make sure to get the bone-in when purchasing dryer cuts of meat. This also helps with moisure retention. With pork it has been found that you do not have to cook it to 160 degrees anymore. It is now 145 degrees. I would cook it to 140 degrees, depending on the thickness, and pull them to let them rest. Wrap them in Aluminum Foil. It is like cooking a steak to medium. Just a slight hint of pink in the middle. Juiciest pork you will ever eat. Mmmmmm. Damn, this is making me crave some chops.

13. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    Tom - Try this.... I bake them in the oven in a pan that I think is called a "Jelly roll pan". It's like a cookie sheet, but it has sides that come up about an inch. Season the chops in your usual manner (I often use a store bought rub that I'm fond of), put them in the greased pan, and (here's the key) cover the pan with foil, but use your fingers to seal the foil just as tightly as possible around the edge of the pan (I'm real meticulous here). The top edges of our jelly roll pan roll over, so I use my fingers to crimp it really tightly around the edge. Bake in the oven at around 400 degrees. I cook 1 inch or so thick chops for around 35 to 45 minutes, so for yours I'm guessing and hour maybe (??), maybe more. I also use this same technique with chicken, and either one always comes out very moist. BTW: I don't know if it makes a lot of difference, but the jelly roll pan that I use is only about 9" x 12", which fits 3-5 chops pretty well. I don't know if one that is full cookie sheets size would have more "air space" under the "tent" and allow them to dry out a bit more. I've been using this technique for quite a while, and love it for quick weeknite dinners. Mike

14. Mike

Mike Member

....Or Heat cast iron skillet, add oil of choice (I like clarified butter, butter taste doesn't brown as easy as butter), sear meat 90 sec on each side, put in 375 deg oven 5-7 mins, turn meat once 5-7 mins again, remove, let it set a few mins before cutting. Moist and tastey, yum, Goes good with homemade applesauce! Mik

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Thats exactly why I wont buy chope without a bone

16. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I agree with Ken and Stl flyn. It seems you are removing the pork long before it done but you not. Even if you do just put it back on the grill.

17. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Use a thermometer per Stl Flyn! Can't go wrong. Enjoy...

Guy B.

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

season then slather them in real mayonaise, then grill them on the barby.

The mayo makes a crust that locks in the juices, end product has no mayo taste.

19. tcr1146

Boys-I want to thank all of you! So far I have tried Porter's method and Michael Gregory's method in the same night as my wife needs more tender meat than I do! Did not matter! First of all, I had my butcher cut (bone in) them 1 1/2 " thick! They weighed 3.77 pounds for 3 of them, or 1.25 +each. I modified Gregory's method only slightly! I seared them for 2 minutes on each side at med hot to hot heat! I then put that chop on a oiled (olive oil in the skillet and the cookie pan) cookie sheet and put the foil over it and meticulously sealed the rim all the way around! I then cooked for 40-45 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees. I then removed it and checked it and it was perfect. I wrapped it for 5 minutes to "rest" before I presented to my wife! She could not get over how moist, tender, and delicious! She only used salt as her seasoning!
    I used Porter's method on mine! I have a great 12" iron skillet that I do most of my cooking with on top of the gas stove. I carefully wiped it out of old "residue" and lightly cleaned it with virgin olive oil! I then used approx 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and brought the skillet to med hot and almost hot! I then seared the first side 3-4 minutes, flipped and seared 3-4 minutes and ultimately did this 3 times to each side! I cannot describe how moist, how tender and how delicious this chop was and I only used salt and pepper. Also, not sure if I missed a step, but I did not let this big boy rest! I ate it immediately! By the way, the presentation was outstanding as well! This method is so easy with no muss or fuss or a bunch of stuff to clean up! The only thing I might change is try the brine marination with the skillet method! I also will try the grill method, but in all honesty, I cannot imagine it being as easy or risk free as the skillet! Thanks again guys! Tom Rhoads

20. Mike

Mike Member

Bon Appetit! Mik

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.