1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Propane $ ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

We have a ventless propane gas log in our "fireplace" & a gas grill on our deck. They are fed from a 50 gal tank with a regulator & a volume gauge. We pay $60.00/yr tank rental & our last delivery came to $3.50/gal---would we be better off owning our own tank? What would a typical setup like this cost? What are you currently paying for propane? We live in easter NC, if we use 50 gals. /yr its alot---thanx ----Phil

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Do you have natural gas and might these items be connected to them? That may prove far less expensive.

3. RLC323

RLC323 Member

That tank rental is pretty high. You should consider buying your own tank if you are going to continue using the fireplace. Propane as a commodity is really inexpensive as it is a by-product of gasoline refining. Current market price per gallon is around $1.33 at the refinery in Mount Bilevue Texas. The expense is in storing and transporting it, along with taxes. I paid $1.95 per gallon delivered last month here in Illinois.

Owning your own tank, shopping around for prices, and taking advantage of filling up in the summer when prices are lower should save you some cash.

4. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Thanx for the info, natural gas is not an option----Phil

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Paid $2.25 per gallon here in central Indiana. Switched my shop to electric because I can get 65% more BTUs per dollar from electric ($0.06 per Kwh).

Jim Skeel

6. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

We have a vacation place in New Mexico. Have to use propane. The company has no competition. 12-07 price was $3.36 per gallon. How's that for gouging.

Jerry Walker

7. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Jim,

That elec. rate is quite low, but if memory serves me a killowatt= 3400 btus
    a gallon of propane about 120k btus. right now in s.e.pa. oil and propane are running neck and neck a gal of fuel oil = 144k btus.

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Owning your own tank usually makes the price of LPG much lower because the dealer doesn't have to try to recover the cost and depreciation of the tank. My dealer sells LPG for $3.26/gal if you lease the tank and $2.10/gal if you own it.

Morgan

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My research shows only 91,000 BTU per gallon for propane.

Jim Skeel

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Lancaster Ohio,LITTER PROPANE $1.66 per gal.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Hello Jim,
    you are correct! my excuse is {I said from memory} LOL

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

skeel is correct LP runs approx 90,000 btu per gallon.I would like to get some $.06 per kw electricity, with the fuel adjustment factor ours runs about .13 per kw but it sure is nice to flip on a switch and have lights!

13. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I guess my PL. people have been gouging as I get .10 cents off for owning my tank ?? LP. is $2.20 in my tank today . I don,t think anyone is going to give you over a dollar off to put LP. in your tank .

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I fill propane tanks and I am currently paying $2.05 a gallon for resale. Delivered to houses at a minimum of 100 gallons is $3.05 a gallons. Less than that is $15.00 surcharge for delivery. I have a 25 gallon tank that I fill for my personal use and get it for $2.35 a gallon. Everything seems to be going up in my area(SE Georgia). Jackie B.

15. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Contracted for propane in the summer in Clinton County IA. Paying $1.4990/gal. Just paid $181.68 for 121.2 gallons.

16. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

here in NE Ohio I just pais $2.63/gal for my propane....for haeting my home,300+ gal. OUCH!

17. Urbans

Urbans Member

Spring Bluff MO, $219.9, $40.00 annual rent for tank rental.(1000)

18. chessney

chessney TS Member

I have propane in vacation home.The Co. charges $30 a year rental.If your refill cost $15 to fill they charge $15 rental ect. I would check around to see if any other Co. offer somthing better....Ziggy

19. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

Just had a delivery to fill our tank and the cost was $ 3.80 a gallon in So. California Total came to about $650. We do not have access to natural gas, so we burn a lot of wood.

Clyde

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.