1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

proof marking on Perazzi barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by colt 1911, Aug 14, 2013.

1. colt 1911

colt 1911 TS Member

can anyone tell me the date of manufacturer of these barrels by the proof markings? they were ordered through a dealer last fall, but what is odd is the side ribs go up to the mono block. Are these old inventory with this years serial numbers? because I was told that for years now Perazzi only runs the side ribs just past the inside of the forend to avoid the solder from coming loose.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

CC was 2008

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The "CI" in the box denotes the year of mfgr

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

It appears that its a very new barrel. CI appears to denote 2013 as the year of manufacture but there is a 2012 stamped on the mono block.

T

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Likely the CI is correct and the proper year for the 151,000 serial number. Perazzi may have been attmpting to brign the bbls up to a specific weight. But my understanding is the extended side ribs was Perazzi attempt to do the opposite of your impression. They wanted them to hold together and ran them all the way to the monoblock

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The proof stamp of CI MAY be when it was proofed, not when it was manufactured. Hence, a 2012 stamp on the monobloc MAY mean manufactured in 2012, but proofed in early 2013.

Just speculating.

8. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Maybe the factory is now using a superior attachment process, hopefully they will hold together for a long time.

Nice pipes. The old MX-8 was always the best handling O/U available.

Regards, GAP

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Gapper said.

At this point, I don't see another Perazzi in my stable, but it would be an older MX-8.

10. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Both of my MX8's are date stamped AA in the box for 1975. I don't feel like by shooting nearly 40 year old guns I'm giving up anything over a new one. Sure, I can't swap barrels with everyone at the shoots but I have the barrels I need already. I don't care for the teeter-totter ribs, that are so popular today, so I'm happy. My only regret is that I didn't buy them in the 70's when I started shooting. The center rib goes to the mono-block on mine, too.

11. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

What is the weight stamped on the barrels? Typically the lighter barrels have less side rib. Heavier barrels have longer side ribs, or even solid side ribs. Since you can order whatever you want from Perazzi, I don't think you can make a generalization like "they are doing this to prevent..."

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Let me just toss in my 2 cents on proofs vs. serial numbers...

I belive the proof marks are a more accurate way of determining the date of barrels. The reason being is this...It can be possible for a dealer lookig to sell a packaged gun to a customer to not actually have a complete gun. So to accomodate his customer, the dealer may have an extra barrel from another combo(in which he sold that gun only as a one bbl gun) and has taken that barrel, had it fitted to the new gun, and renumbered. Now this new barrel "could be" already 4-5 years old, and possibly not fitted to "factory specs".

I personally don't see this as a problem, except the customer was expecting something new from the manufacturer, not 4-5 years old.

If you look closely at the pictures the original poster has posted, you can see all of the marking on the mono-block "crisp and clean". It's highly unlikely (in my experience of seeing many barrels), that in the process of removing an old serial number, much of the original marking tend to get washed out during the filing and repolishing, leading me to believe the barrel was re-serialized.

Doug

13. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The Proof Mark year code is the year of proof, not year of manufacture.

Side rib ran the whole length of the barrel has nothing to do with new or old manufacture, it's the weight concern.

Your barrel marking indicated the gun is a MX-2000/8 factory combo manufactured in 2012 then pass the proof in 2013.

14. drgondog

drgondog Member

Is it just me or did somebody really knock the receiver around - or just a funny image making it seem like it has been scratched?

Search tags for this page
barrel code perazzi
longer barrels for perrazi
new perazzi barells
perazzi barells
perazzi barrel markings

perazzi date barrels

what do the stamps means on perazzi tm1 block
what year was my perazzi manufacturer