1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promoting trapshooting and missed opportunitys

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by michmoe, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

After watching Jim Scouttens excellent $100,000 Grand Challenge on the Outdoor channel I got to thinking what a shame more people couldn't have been made aware of this show in an attempt to draw more attention to our beloved sport.I'm wondering why the ATA AND Trap & Field (official ATA magazine) didn't urge its members and readers to encourage anyone they knew that liked to shoot watch this program.Had I known in advance I would have done just that.I only found out today that it was to be aired that same day and contacted as many as I could in hopes they would watch this show and it would spark an interest.Much cheaper then hiring a promotions manager and probably nearly as effective.I'm personally going to email Mr. Scoutten and thank him and I hope other's will as well.If every ATA member could get just five non trapshooters to watch this show and if it only sparks an interest in one of the five,then we still have the potential to double our size.Shame on you ATA for not doing more to promote what could have been an excellent opportunity.Maybe I'm mistaken but to me it seemed that this show was kind of aired without much fanfare and there wasn't much advance notice as to when it would air.At the Grand Jim Scoutten told us to expect to see it around Thanksgiving.Now a month later I finally got to see it and only found out the same day that it aired.Sure wish I could have known sooner as to have gotten the word out.

2. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I'm not sure WATCHING trap is a promotion for the sport. Yes, people who already shoot would enjoy it, but watching trap is borderline mind-numbingly boring.

It would be like getting the word out about a golf tournament on TV.

3. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Can golf amateurs compete in a event where there is a half mill in prize money?..that's what need's to get out...not just the watching of the shooting.Theres lots more to a shoot then just breaking targets.

4. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Sam,did you watch the program?...there was a lot more to it then just guys banging away at targets.Young,old,male,female,a sport that can be enjoyed by all.What I really enjoyed was the fact that the young lad that won didn't need a $10,000 gun to do it.Thats what I was wanting the general public to see.If you think all there is to trapshooting is guys banging away at targets,then your missing a lot.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I watched the shoot-out first hand, Jim Scouten and crew did a great job!

michmoe, your thoughts are spot on! The more people that do watch will learn something that ATA has never done, promote the sport of trap shooting to the media! Unless you call the deal made with the owner of T&F promoting our sport?

What would have been even better for the public viewers watching this shootout on TV would be the flash targets and an inset showing the targets breaking along with the shooter doing the deed? We should have done a tad more promoting this event even if it costs a little more to put it on? ATA certainly doesn't get too many chances to show the world what trapshooting is all about. We will have at least one more chance to get it right?

Hap

6. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

i read about the show yesterday and tuned to 606 but it it pay per view with my direct t.v. package i pay 60$ a month plus tax and still dont get all the outdoor channels wanted to watch but thats the way it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.