1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shannon391, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I picked up some Promo to try, it was cheap. What's a good recipe for a light 1145 load. 1-1/8? I would like to use rio primers as I have a few cases.

I have only used clays for the last ten years, so I'm not well versed on different loads.

Thanks,
    Shannon

2. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

Alliant Powder website has a section for all their products. It will give you lots of recipes for different types of casings.

3. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Shannon,

I load 16.7 grains, 1 1/16 oz, windjammer, cheddite primer, AA hull for singles and first shot of doubles. Nice soft load a little less than 1200 fps.

For handicap (when I shoot Promo) I load 18.7 gr, 1 1/8 oz with a 12S3, fed. primer in a fed hull. 1200 fps.

I did some experimenting up to 19.0 grains but the shoulder couldn't take it.

If you stay around 17 grains you should be okay depending on wad/primer/hull.

Take care and good luck.

Matt Ski

4. maka

maka Member

Make sure you scale your wieghts. Promo varies form Lot to Lot. Also from jug to jug. Some Lots are quite clean and other quite dirty. If you shoot Single or O/U should not be a problem with dirty barrels. I use to shoot and still own several Auto's and myself I would not use Promo In them. Good Luck.

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

You can interchange recipes with Red Dot and Promo as long as you weigh them regularly.

Promo can vary more lot to lot than other powders, you must keep a scale handy!

I have used promo for 1-oz loads (eight 8-pounders) for over three years without an issue.

Use Alliant website or send an e-mail to Alliant with questions on your components, their customer service is great!

SW

6. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Forget Promo, Use Claydot within its limits. Check Alliant website. Very good for one ounce at moderate velocity

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

16.5 grs 7/8 of 81/2 shot, great for singles and first shot of doubles. Jake

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have used a lot of Promo in the past few years. I load 17.5 grains, Remington primer, STS hull and DownRange XL-1 wad. Works great. Ed

9. wlk

wlk Member

All these loads from a weight thing (grains)are good loads. Promo ballistics are the same as Red Dot. The powder bushing you use for Red dot will not be the same for Promo. A bushing that throws 18 Grains of Red Dot will throw close to 19.5, give or take a little, grains of promo. Weight it, use appropriate bushing for the charge. Promo is heavier.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

What hull? What wad? There is very little data for RIO primers. The tendency is to treat them as the hottest primer listed and keep the pressures of the selected load under 10,000 PSI to add a little headroom for error. The RIO primer iseems to be at it's best in large, straight tubed hulls. When in doubt, call Alliant. In my experience, it appears that the RIO primers are on the hot side, but it can vary greatly depending on the rest of the load.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Thanks guys,

I Have many different cases, just looking at options.

Thanks all.

12. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

18 gr. Promo, STS primer, WT12 wad, old style AA hull. Powders targets and very easy on the shoulder.

13. kd185

kd185 Member

18 gr. Promo, Win primer, 1oz win clone wad, old style AA hull or STS hulls
    Hornady bushing #438

17.1 gr. Promo, Win primer, 7/8oz win clone wad, old style AA hull or STS hulls
    Hornady bushing #429

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Shannon it works have loaded it for 16's for the last couple of years. I Drop around 18 grains as I like a quick load at a 11/8 oz. They have their own reciepts so you don't guess or subsititue for Red Dot or other. You can't beat the price.

Don

15. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Howdy Y'all,

I used Promo for a few years,and found it to be kind of dirty.It didn't really matter to me as we(My son,& I)were shooting SBT's.The great thing was,and still is,is its price.......Forgive the ramblings,and on to the point....If you use Promo at the upper end of its pressure limits it burns very very clean at least thats what we observed in our guns.......
    Smoke 'em all........

D.P.Reynolds

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm on my forth jug of PROMO now and use it only for 1 Oz loads. KD185 quoted the same amounts and bushings that I use. I think PROMO is a very good value and I like the fact that it is available when I need it.

I still like CLAYS better but obviouly not so much better that I'm willing to pay almost 40% more for it.

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Try going to Rioammo.com/primers.html and get on Rio's website. Here you can find there data for reloading using their primers as well as lots of other informative info about Rio. Seems all their powders seem to be single based. Their primers seem to be made for best preformance using a single based powder. I'm sure many have had good results using other types of powders. As said you can use Red Dot data and substitute Promo powder for it if you can't find any data on promo on this site. Hope this helps you out some. Break=em all. JEff

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

DO NOT USE OR RECOMMEND BUSHING SIZES!!!! There is significant lot to lot variation with Promo. YOU MUST HAVE A SCALE.

I use it exclusively for singles/doubles loads. There is no better value in a powder for 1 oz and light 1 1/8 oz 12 ga loads.

I normally buy 2-3 cases of the same lot number to minimize bushing changes.

Don Verna