Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Promo vs. Red Dot

9K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Recoil Sissy 
#1 ·
Is there much difference between Promo & Red Dot? I'm considering changing to a more flexible powder, and PROMO is certainly cost effective. The loads on the Alliant web site are identical as are the presure values. What's different besides price?
Thanks,

WNCRob

#2 ·
If you look down the barrel after each shot the only difference is that promo leaves more residue.Some shooters try to make a big deal out of "DIRTY" powders but I see no logic in this!I clean my gun after each shoot and like you have already stated the savings are great.Reagrds PJ

#8 ·
Help me with this. It's claimed Promo is Red Dot + 10% American Select.

According to Recobs website, they sell 8 lb jugs of powder at these prices:

$96.39 - Red Dot
$96.39 - American Select
$80.89 - Promo

So they mix two powders they sell for $96.39, then charge $80.89?

G
#9 ·
promo is not red dot and american select,
it's OEM overruns blended to be ballistically identical to red dot.
It could be a blending of OEM powder used in gun clubs,universals,estates,
or any other factory loading,or any combination therof.

#10 ·
Here is what it REALLY is. It is the floor sweepings that Alliant's janitors sweep off the floor each day. The head janitors name is Rodney Promo. As Mr. Promo is actually the one who places these floor sweepings into the 8# containers; they felt it appropriate to name the powder after him. :) Seriously, I have used a lot of Promo and it does a good job. Can't tell any difference between it and Red Dot. As far as being dirty; it doesn't bother me, as I clean my guns after each days shoot. (And I don't find it is any dirtier than Red Dot). Ed

#11 ·
I'm a long time Red Dot user but very recently tried Promo. I spent a couple of days off and on stuffing bullets and used the entire 8 lb. jug. Other than using a smaller bushing, I only noticed one difference.

One of my standard one ounce reloads calls for a Gold Medal hull and a 12S0 wad. The denser Promo occupies less space and apparently doesn't fill the case quite as well as Red Dot. With that particular load, I got dished crimps which I couldn't eliminate.

sissy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.