1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo vs ClayDot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by riflegunbuilder, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I have been loading REX powders for a good while but they are not as cheap compared to others as they once were. I have narrowed my choice down to Promo or ClayDot. I load 1200 1 oz loads and 1145 1 1/8 oz. Pros and Cons of these two powders?

2. TCFelty

TCFelty Member

I load 1 oz. loads as well. I have tried both powders and have shot a lot of them both. The same loads as you. Promo is the same as red dot but cheaper. Claydot cost just a few bucks more and you us just a little less to get the same results as promo and is cleaner. It all boils down to this. You are going to clean your gun anyway. Do you want to spend a little less and use promo or use a little less and a cleaner powder and get the same results. I have been using clay dot for 2 years and like the results. They only come in 8lb. containers. Give them a try. It won't be hard to sell the one you don't want. Tim

3. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

If I want to throw 17.5 grs of each what size P-W or Honady bushing does it take for 17.5 Promo or 17.5 Clay Dot?

4. TCFelty

TCFelty Member

Not sure about that one. I use a mec 9000G. Look it up in the powder manufactures book or go to there website. It should give you what you need but always weigh it to make sure. Tim

5. TCFelty

TCFelty Member

Hey riflegunbuilder, I dug out my books and this might get you close but weight the charge to make sure-------P/W J or J1 or K HORNADY 453 or 468 Give this a try but weigh the charge to see. Tim

6. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I understand about wieghing the charge. My question is if I want to throw 17.5 grs of each of these powders at 17.5 grs which one takes the larger or smaller bushing?

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Promo will vary from lot to lot, so there is no valid answer to that question, unless you compare specific lot numbers. I would highly recommend Promo if you are going to load for 1 1/8 oz of shot. Most of the time, the pressures with Promo would be more reasonable in those loads. If you were only going to load 1 oz, either powder would do fine.

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

Listen to Quack.

Don Verna

9. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I like Clay Dot a lot, and it is a nice clean burning powder. With 1 oz load I use about 17.0 Grains of Clay Dot Powder, and with 11/8 oz loads I use about 17.4 grains of powder. These seem to work for me!!

10. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

I would use red dot or claydot or anything else I could afford before Promo. I am not going to dime the guy out, but I hear it from a good source the Promo is a mixture of two different powders. One powder weights more then the other by volume. When they tested it charges varied by as much as .5 gr. It almost drove my one friend crazy because he could not get his universal bar to throw the same charge twice. It pays to buy a scale even to see how accurate bushing are. Some say just make sure you shake the bottle good before you put in the the hopper. I think (FPS) the same speed is important for your timing in trap. Screw in the full choke and start shooting.

11. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I'm on my fifth 8 pounder of Promo. I use it for my 1 oz loads.

In my 366 I have used either a 441 or a 444 bushing to get 17.7 to 17.9 gr. average.

You might want to try 438 or 441 if you want 17.5 gr.

I loaded 32 boxes last Saturday and my drops do not seem to very more than .2 or so when I weigh five of them consecutive or spot check every hundred.

I keep hearing how much it varies, but I don't think one bushing size is huge variation between bottles.

I prefer Green Dot for 1-1/8 oz loads and have never used Clay Dot.

SW

12. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I have used both powders for these loads very successfully. As a general rule, I find the faster powders better for moderate loads and the slower powders better for higher velocity loads...and Clays & Clay Dot can reach peak pressures with a small increment in charge and can be very sensitive to which primer you are using. Promo/Red Dot is/are perhaps a bit more versatile overall, particularly if you are also a sporting clays shooter and want to put together some 1300 fps 1 oz loads. AS for which bushing to use, you must absolutely weigh the charges and see for yourself, but as a starting point for the weighing process I'd suggest the I bushing.

WNC Rob

13. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

I found Clay Dot surprisingly smooth, VERY pleasant shooting, but delivering slightly more open, and consequently, slightly more uniform patterns in comparison to Promo or Red Dot.

I now try to use Clay Dot for Int'l skeet and first barrel Olympic trap/wobble, reserving the Promo/Red Dot for 2nd barrel trap and for the second shot at station 4 skeet doubles.

If I ever had to go back to ATA/PITA I'd try it for 16 yard and first shot at doubles. Probably use PB or Green Dot for handicap. . .

- - Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

claydoyt

red dot vs clay dot