1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo VS ClayDot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by paul7177, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7177

paul7177 Member

The one thing that I do not like about ClayDot is all the graphite dust it creates when reloading. Otherwise it is a very good, clean burning powder.
    Is Promo also loaded with graphite?

2. porky

porky TS Member

It loads pretty well because of the flake size(just like red dot). When shooting it, you'll notice the residue left in the barrel. Definitely not for semi-autos or pumps unless you clean them right after shooting.

3. wm rike

wm rike Member

No graphite. I was surprised by how clean it shoots (in mild one-ounce loads), certainly better than the WST I previously used.

4. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Claydot is definately cleaner burning I use both but use claydot for loads for my automatic.Jerry

5. dougp

dougp TS Member

I use American Select , sure a few bucks more but it is cleaner than promo and claydot .

6. lostandout

lostandout Member

use 700x its about as clean as you can get

7. shrek

shrek Active Member

clays and claydot are cleaner burning than American select and 700x in regular target type loads (1200 fps 1 oz loads and 1145 fps 1 1/8 oz loads).

American select and 700x will be cleaner at loads that are higher in pressure, but not cleaner than clays or claydot. (ie some of the faster 1 oz loads)

I have shot them all, and they are all decent powders, but for lowest residue clays and claydot will have less.

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Promo will gunk up your auto in no time flat. Stick with Clays or 700x.

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

A word on promo: It can burn incompletely in low temps. I witnessed it this spring when a friend tried to use it in April [in Michigan]. Sometimes it made only a slight pop. These were one ounce loads. I suppose the primer could have had something to do with it, but it didn't do it with clays powder. Bill Wheeler

10. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I put over 2500 rounds through a 391 without cleaning a thing shooting Rex-3 (dirtiest crap on the market that I have found) without a mis-function -- singles and doubles, all weather as well. When I did clean the gun, there was the usual build-up as found after several hundred, but nothing to excess, or to impair the function. Cleaning is over-exaggerated and a state of "mind" in my opinion. The 1100 will be a different story - probably. The cost of Clays compared to Promo only cleans your cash and outlook. I find 700X to leave some stuff with 1 oz, too............m

11. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

700X always left a yellowish residue on my auto's.
    I switched to Clays and everything was good.
    Haven't tried Claydot yet.

12. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I like em all!!!

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Have not tried Clay Dot, will say Clays appeared a little cleaner-less residue in bbl.- didn't care for Clays as it seemed to be a little "smoky". My 1st preference 700X or e3 (I can't tell any difference) 2nd choice Red Dot or Promo for light loads,(7\8 & 1oz)-- PB or 7625 for 1&1\8oz Green Dot also good for 1&1\8. Just my personal experience--Ross Puls

14. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I shoot whatever is cheapest. Cleaning and maintaining your gun is the cheapest thing you can do for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.