1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

promo versus red dot what's tge diff

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JB Logan Co. Ohio, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

No difference in my opinion. Had been loading Red Dot for about 30 years or so. Just got into a routine ya know? Tried Promo and find that I can't tell the difference. Same load, same result. Try it you'll like it.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Loads are the same by weight, but the volume is different. The volume is also different between different powder lots of PROMO. I use a Universal Charge Bar, so that is ideal for PROMO. PROMO is probably slighty dirtier that the new clean Red Dot. In my O/U, is does not make a difference. I opt for the cost savings.

3. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

Slight diff in volume, same burning rate. Just weigh a few, 18 to 18.5 with 1 ounce is a sweet load. I also use for 45 ACP, I think 4 grains or so. Have used up several jugs, seems to be just fine.

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Burn rate is almost identical. As posted above "weight by "volume" is different. You will probably have to go down at least one bushing when using Promo. Promo does leave a little more residue, but not a lot. Promo is a good deal money wise, and is produced here in the good ol USA.

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

Joe, I load 16.5 gr. in a AA hull, pink 1 oz. Win. wad and a cheddite primer. Very soft....I think the book says 1150 FPS. Nice for 16 yd. targets.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. JB Logan Co. Ohio

bodyman, get a scale. Don't trust the figures that are printed, they are just guestimates. Just like Reagan and the Russians.....trust with verification. Don't forget to weigh your charges with each new container, whether or not the lot number is the same.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

7. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

bodyman

All powders weigh differently by volume, 2 jugs of the identical same powder but of different lot numbers when measured by volume can weigh a few tens of a grain up to several grains differently when that same volumne is measured on a powder scale. Best thing to do is buy a digital powder scale, you could save a lot of money when you find out how much your bushing are actually throwing.

8. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Promo is great. Stopped using Red Dot, 700-X, Clays and International and now use nothing but Promo.

Can't beat the price, the performance or the fact that its made in America.

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I shot 700X for many years and switched to REX because it was so much cheaper. Shot REX for a while but didn't really care for how it performed in cold weather nor for how dirty it was. Went back to 700X a couple years ago and all was good. Ran out of 700X and all my supplier had was some Promo. I bought an 8 pounder to try since the price was definately right. After shooting it, I bought 40 more lbs. from him. I think it's a great powder for the money and it does the job nicely from any yardage. I load it for both 1oz. loads and 3dr. 11/8oz. handicap loads. As long as it's available at the price I'm getting it for I will continue to use it........Just my opinion.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

It works great. I recently switched to it from red dot because of the price difference and I can not tell the difference, It may be a little dirtier, but that doesn't bother me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.