1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo Variability??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Question:

How much variability in density and physical characteristics, especially color, have experienced users of Promo observed? I'm on my 4th 8-lb jug. I recently purchased 2 8-lb jugs...same lot#'s. One made on Jan 4 and the other on Jan5...The JAN. 5 JUG is very different in density and appearance from all of my prior jugs. Interested in others observations.

WNCRob

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Yup.

Batch difference within the same lot is not uncommon, but Alliant is quite up-front abt Promo: the chemical artistry happens after the feedstock powder is produced, and there WILL be differences jug-to-jug, both chemical and physical.

Your bushing size will probably change between the two jugs, but 19gn of 'A' will produce the same fire as 19gn of 'B'.

Bob

3. maka

maka Member

I am on jug #5. Have purchesed 2 jug case and found same variance. I always scale each jugs drops just to make sure drops I want are consistant. Great powder for the money.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Check EVERY new jug. I've had some variations, even within the same lot numbers. I try to buy a few cases of the same lot number, but it's no guarantee that there won't be some variation. I also mix up the jug a bit, before using it.

5. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

I've used Promo since I've started reloading. There are differences from lot to lot but, I havent changed powder bushuings. The difference I've experienced has been no more than 5 or 6 tenths. Not really enough to really concern me. As long as you put your barrel where it's supposed to be the end result is the same.

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

How many grains of Promo are you guys using for ounce and a eight load? I've just purchased my first jug of Promo after using Red Dot for years. I've been told Red Dot and Promo are the same - just different density, therefore different bushing required.

7. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Bisi,,I load 17 gr. for 1 oz,,,17 1/2 for 1 1/8 oz,,in both Rem STS/Nitro, and Win AA.
    Norman

8. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

On my first 3 jugs, the density was pretty consistent...maybe 2-4 tenths of a grain. On the 4th jug, a big change...consistently 1 to 1.1 grain lighter, bushing to bushing, and the powder color has changed noticeably. My first 3 jugs the powder was all charcoal grey, almost black. Jug 4 is medium grey. If you mix the two, the appearance difference is very noticeable. It will be interesting to hear from Alliant. Their web site indicates that Promo is denser than Red Dot, but this new jug is probably less dense than Red Dot. It will be interesting to see how this "new version" of Promo performs.

WNCRob