1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo /STS hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Rem is superior to Win hulls. end of thread.

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I agree. Ed

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I'll bet he is talking in terms of pressures. And as far as overall lengths go, rem is not superior. Some long, some short.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

bn99plus

How much shot are you intending to load and how fast do you want it to go? You can call or email Alliant and get their recommendations. If loading 1oz, I'd think a load somewhere around 17.0 - 17.5 grains would be reasonable. There is sometimes a big difference between the STS and AA hulls in pressures and loads. I'd be inclined to use data for the hulls you are using.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

bn99plus

I'd say somewhere around 16.5 to 17.0 grains of Promo would get you a nice light load with the components you mentioned. I'd still run it by the guys at Alliant to be sure. There's not much listed for 1 1/6 oz loads, but I'd look at what they have for 1 1/8 and go from there. I've used the Winchester primers in a load using 1 1/8 oz of shot with the Figure 8 wads in the STS hulls. I loaded just under 18.0 grains in the heaviest loading. It gave me a velocity a little over 1160 fps. Unfortunately, the wad you wish to use has even less data with the Winchester primer. To be on the safe side, I'd not go over about 17.5 grains of Promo.

6. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

bn99plus... I have used promo for about 5 years now and like it very much... I use mainly sts and nitro hulls for my reloads, but dont load any 1oz or 1 1/16oz loads... I can tell you the info on what grains I load for both if it will help you decide how much to load for 1 1/16 oz....

Singles= sts or nitro hull, 18.5 grns promo powder and either AA wad or claybuster replacement.....

Handicap=(27 yd) sts or nitro hull, 19.5 - 19.8 grns promo powder and same wad as other load....

I will admit im not one to be recoil sensetive, my trap gun fits me perfect and weights a ton, so if the handicap load above is a little stout than you can go down on the load to where you like it... I have a mec bushing that drops 20.3 grns of promo and they arent painful either, but anything needed above 20 grns I go to a different powder like 800x or blue dot for games like annie oakley or shoot offs way behind the 27 yrd line............Good Luck.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rich219- If you use Promo, STS hulls and the Alliant guide, you can easily develop several excellent loads.

Actually, with all of our selections, loading a very good shell is easy. Breaking a target with a good shell is easy. Breaking all of the targets with your good shells is difficult.

Pat Ireland

8. hduc2005

hduc2005 TS Member

load promo with red dot info

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The Down Range Orange 1 Oz Wad has given a lot of shooters headaches, I exchanged mine for Federal 12S1 a much better wad this is ther clone for the 12S1 from Claybuster that I use.

I am on my 19th keg of Promo I believe, good powder, it is Alliant's leading selling Powder.

I use the 1 1/8th reciepe for 1 3/16s oz, But in 1 oz 17.5 gives you 1200fps.

I usually use 18 grains of Promo for the 1 3/16s and 1 1/8th oz loads.
    I use the Windjammer wad for these 2 loads, they do not puke out.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

With CLAYS and Internation Clays being nearly impossible to get, I bought a two jugs of PROMO just to get by with. I am pleasantly suprised with the result I'm getting. The stuff doesn't leave alot of residue and the targets break just fine. I use 17.2g in STS hulls, W209 primer, DRXL blue wad and 1 1/8 Oz shot, or same powder charge & primer with a TGT12 wad and 1 oz shot.

All that and a good price ta boot! What's not to like?

11. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

STS or Nitro Hull, Win 209, Win AA or CB2100 (I seem to like that better than the DR XL-1) and 17.7-17.8 Promo.

Broke a 99, several 98s and many 97s this summer. Sorry, that combo has not broke 100 yet.

On my 6th jug of Promo, all is well.

SW