1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo ???s

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ross, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen any chamber pressure data specific to Promo?? Everything I have found says use same gr. wt. as R.D. with a smaller bushing, but I've never seen any specific data for Promo's chamber pressure. I am currently using Promo (weighed with scale) & it seems to be working just fine, I used 700X most of my 40+ yrs of reloading but it has gotten so high priced lately I decided to try Promo. Thank You-- Ross Puls

2. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

Promo is all I shoot for practice. I was curious as to the cheapest load I could get and still break decent scores on the 16 yd line and skeet.

I ended up loading 7/8s oz. of reclaimed shot, with Promo, Fiochi primers and down range wads. All of this was squeezed into a once fired Estate hull.

They're not the greatest I have ever shot, but I like them enough that I shoot them in practice all of the time. I'd rate it at a about a solid B to B+ load.

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Yes if you go to the Alliant website and their loading data any load listed with PROMO has the pressure listed in the load data.

--- Chip King ---

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

ChipKing: Thanks, Found it,, I looked in the wrong place I guess, I have always used TGTs & was also thinking about trying some C.B.s clones for economy (tried D.R.s XXLs, bad results)finally gave them away & I think he tried them & threw them away. I guess I will stay with TGTs after looking at chamber pressures. I load a 7\8oz. load in STS hulls so chamber pressures are OK. Thanks Again--Ross Puls

5. porky

porky TS Member

Ross,Try the Downrange clones of the TGT12's (DRRT12). They work really well also.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Ross

Just be aware that the pressure data for Promo is usually identical to that listed for the same load of Red Dot. Each lot of Promo may vary in density and I would likely assume pressure. Check your drops with a new lot or jug of powder. I don't load maximum pressure loads, so I leave a little headroom for variables. Even the crimp depth can affect pressures dramatically as can swapping components such as primers. All in all, use the Alliant data, but compare it to other sources if you have any available. Be sure to question any load that does not look right. There have been typos in the past and would not be surprised if any existed currently. When in doubt, you can send some shells out for testing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.