1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo reloading info needed!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by reddeath, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

A friend of mine has some light loads mt son likes and I think would be great for my 8yr. old nephew. He is loading 14grain of 700x and is using 7/8oz. of shot. I would love to duplicate this load with Promo what would be the grain equivalent and what MEC bushing would I need?

And anyone with a link for a MEC bushing chart that has promo on it would be great!

Thanks!
    Craig

2. Twister7795

Twister7795 TS Member

A bushing chart is just a starting point, you will need a set of scales to get the right amount. Btw you didn't mention a wad, primer or hull that you would be using. The best place to look is on alliants web page.

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

So how long has PROMO been out that reloaders still have not gotten the word that powder density varies lot to lot?

Here is what Alliant says: QUOTE America's number one economy-priced 12 gauge target powder. Promo has the same burn speed as Red Dot, but is more dense, thus requiring a smaller bushing to obtain the same charge weight. END QUOTE

There are no bushing charts for PROMO. Start with a bushing or two smaller for the equivilent RED DOT load and then you have to weigh it. I find the Multi-Charge adjustable bar particularly useful when using PROMO.

4. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I've been using 14.5 grains of Promo with a 12SO wad and a Rio primer in a Federal Top Gun hull. The girls like the pink ones. I load on a Dillon, so I don't use bushings.

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

If anyone wants a copy of the Alliant loading chart, send me a PM with your email address and I'll email you a copy. It is in pdf format and it is found on the Alliant website. The Promo loading data is found on pages 27 and 28.

On my MEC9000H, I load one ounce of shot in a Winchester hull using a 32 bushing and I get 1200 FPS. Great load. Promo is all I use.

Kevin

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Same as RD, but be sure to use a scale.

Saves cash, good deal.

HM

7. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Promo is all I use; 16.5 to 18 grains for a 7/8 ounce or a 1 ounce load works great. DRA12 wads and Cheddite primers.

Doc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.