1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

promo,red dot, claydot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by maka, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maka

maka Member

Local supplier is having large sale. Have been using Promo for sometime and like it very well. My problem is this supplier does not stock it and I am wondering if I should go with Red Dot or Clay Dot which he has. I have a new Alliant manual and load Rem-Gun clubs w/dr wads. Use a Mec Grabber. Changing is no problem for me I was wondering what others prefer?

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Promo was engineered to be an identical powder to RD, but packaged and marketed to be a little cheaper. You may get some lot-to-lot variance in volume (and have to use a size up or down thimble) but 16.7gn of Promo and 16.7gn of RD are, essentially, ballistically identical in a pressure barrel or chronograph.

ClayDot was reverse engineered to be an identical powder to Hodgdon's Clays, and the loading data is the same: Clays for ClayDot.

All three are good 'one ounce' powders.

If e3 is on sale, you might try it. e3 is a sweetheart and a lot cleaner than any of the Dots.

I'd say 'pick'em' you can't hardly go wrong.

Bob

3. oz

oz Active Member

clays or titewad.

4. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Any of those would be fine I would go with red dot only because it will look and feel like promo. How ever if one of those 3 is less expensive, that would be the one

5. no powder

no powder Member

17.5 grs.clay dot with 1oz.shot TGT12 wad in rem. hull w/win. primer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.