1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo Power and Mec Charge bars

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doubles Xpert, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doubles Xpert

Doubles Xpert Member

I am appealing to the Knowledge base of the MEC Reloaders

I have recently purchased 8-Lbs of Promo reloading powder.

Everything that I read, says it "loads the same as Red Dot" same burn rates, same weight, Even the factory website site says "reloads the same weights as Red Dot".... "But not the same volume"..

Evidently the Promo powder is denser then Red Dot. so same weight as red dot but not the same collet #..

I went the Mec's Website and they do not have a recommended collet size for Promo yet...

I was wondering to be able to get 1150 Fps 1-1/8 oz. loads what # collect should I be using in my Mec to get there.

The Promo powder was almost $30 cheaper to buy in the 8 Lbs. jug.

Thanks

2. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

There is no way to tell for certain. Every jug is different.

You are going to need one of these.

tanda1_2009_300766.jpg

3. Doubles Xpert

Doubles Xpert Member

As a matter of Fact I have two of those and one Electronic scale I was wanting to tap into anyone else's knowledge about the Mec Collects for a starting/ reference point.

4. creek

creek Member

Tander is correct. I have used Promo more than most and I always use loading data for Red Dot; then weight it.
    I found that buying two jugs of Promo at a time, with the same lot # reduces the need to change bushings. Although some on this site stated that they see a big variance between jugs, I have not seen more than one grain or less.

Hope that helps,
    John

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

Just go with the scale and forget collet numbers. I've been using Promo since it came out and every lot (usually at least 2 jugs to the lot) is slightly different in weight.

cap

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The bottom line is that Promo has a different weight for each 8 lb jug that you buy and you will probably find it necessary to change powder bushings or charge bar settings after carefully weighing the powder drop. It is made to Spec by burn rate but not density. If you want a more consistent powder pay the price of Red Dot.

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Use the MEC bushing chart for Red Dot as a starting point, it will be SLIGHTLY close than a rough guess. The MEC bushing chart is usually 1+ bushing under what you'll actually need (in other words, if it says to use a 32, you'll probably need a 33, and maybe even a 34).

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Without knowing your other components, 17 grains of Red Dot with Win hull, Win primer, Win wad, would get you 1145fps. With Promo start with a 28, 29, 30 bushing to get 17 grains.

Wayne

9. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

What is your concern regarding the collet?

10. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

Jon Reitz.

He means powder bushing not collet.

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

11. Doubles Xpert

Doubles Xpert Member

Thanks guys..
    Yes I meant powder bushing not collet, My bad! I will use the advice from here and the PM's that I received to use as a starting point... Which is exactly what I was looking for thank you all. !

On a side note, I have weighed separate jugs of red dot with the same bushing and had just over a grain difference between the lots using the same bushing...So the thought that paying more to get better quality control doesn't wash with me in this instance.. With a lot of things? I would be the first to agree with you...such as guns, cars and Women ha ha...

By the way the load components are

Winchester hull
    Winchester 209A primer
    WAA -12 wad
    Mec 9000H reloaded
    Promo powder...

Thanks for all the response's

DX

12. potatodigger1

potatodigger1 Member

for what it's worth....i get 18 gr of promo from a #30 bushing on a single stage mec.

13. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I've been shooting nothing but the exact same components you just listed for the last 6 years and I use a 32 bushing on a MEC9000H and get consistent loads at 1200 FPS with Promo. By the way, there is a downloadable pdf of the loading charts for all Alliant powders on the Alliant website. The loading charts for Promo is towards the back of the pdf.

14. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Invest in an adjustable bar if you are going to use Promo regularly and forget about bushings.

15. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Use an adjustable charge bar AND a scale and toss the bushings. You can load anything, any time, with the adjustable charge bar -- powder AND shot and be sure of your load -- not just a "bushing-guess" per the charts.......merlyn...ps, you can buy the adjustable bar with the money you save on powder.....m

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.