Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Promo Powder

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  brent375hh 
#1 ·
Weelcome to the list of happy Promo shooters, try 16.5 grs and 7/8oz shoot. Targewt crushers and no recoil. Jake

#5 ·
I was under the same assumption that Quack Shot alluded to in his post regarding Lot #'s. I bought two 8 lb. jugs with the same Lot # and carefully weighed individual drops and then averaged 10 drops to determine which bushing was appropriate.

I used up that 16 lbs. and re-ordered. I was estatic to find the Lot # was the same on both the new jugs as the original order. Being somewhat anal retentive, I checked the drops again for peace of mind and was shocked to find I had to change bushings to maintain the same weight.

Now I re-weigh and if necessary, re-calibrate on each new jug regardless of Lot #.

YMMV.

HBT

#6 ·
I recently bought a couple of jugs of PROMO and really the only reason that I did was because I couldn't get CLAYS or 700X. The complaints I have are that I get alot of residue and moisture in the chambers. On the plus side, the stuff is priced right and the targets don't seem to notice a difference. I haven't used it in any of my autoloaders yet so whatever the fouling problem may be, it isn't causing me any problems yet.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I would rather have CLAYS but on the other hand, I can still make ammo.

#7 ·
I've had enough funky sounding loads that it'll have to put it aside until late spring. I've been loading 16.5 gr Promo, Claybuster 0178-12 wads, Fed 209, and 1oz #8 in STS hulls. Will use factory loads until I'm able to get hold of 8# jugs of Clays or Claydot. I use to think it was the Fiocchi 616 and cold weather, but I've switched to Feds 209 and it's almost 70 degrees here in NJ today.

#9 ·
I have used about half a dozen jugs and like Promo very well. Here in Western NY, we shoot below freezing all of the time and in the single digits and below a fair amount of the time in winter. No bloopers or off sounds from my reloads.

17 grains Promo, Cheddite or Winchester primer, Claybuster TGT 12 wad, Gun Club hulls, 1 oz. shot.

Chris

#10 ·
Chiccay I think you have a loader problem, I quit counting my PROMO Kegs after 10 of them, this is Alliants best selling POWDER. And it is not dirty.
I have never had a blooper w/PROMO.

My pet load is 19.0 grains in a Federal Top Gun w/ 1 1/8th ounce 7 1/2s using Windjammer Wad and Rio Primer.

I use the same w/ 1 ounce loads w Federal 12 SO wad.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

#12 ·
I think the water is a product of combustion Pete but I also notice a lot more smoke coming back out of the tubes than with other powders and that may be what allows the water vapor to condense in the tubes rather than being pushed out with the rest of the charge. Perhaps I'm just not getting the pressures up to where this stuff really burns well. I have been using 17.8 g PROMO under a TGT12 and 1 Oz shot, primers are STS Remington. Anyway these really are pretty minor gripes as I haven't had anything resembling a blooper or under-powered round and my scores are as good as ever. I'm just happy to have a good supply of powder.

#15 ·
I was having bloopers with Titewad. I went up a grain in powder & changed my wad guide based on Mr. Ireland's urgings. The problem went away. Now I need to drop back that grain to see if the old wad guide was the problem, since it did not have missing fingers, but was well and unevenly worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.