promo powder

4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Chichay 
#1 ·
Into my 5th jug.

I love the stuff!!!!

And, I never found anything in it!

SW

#6 ·
I've used quite a bit of it since it came out. The price is right. There is some variation from lot to lot. Be sure to check the drops from jug to jug. It's pretty close to Red Dot, but cheaper. It's not really any worse than most other powders when it comes to residue. I buy a couple of cases at the time, from the same lot number, just so I don't have to worry about figuring out which bushing throws what. I fill the loader, check the drops, and load em up.

#7 ·
I love the stuff. Been using WST for years, until I tried Promo.

Some say it's dirty, but I find is not no dirtier that WST, WSF, etc. I think that reference is hearsay. In fact, I really thinks it's not dirty at all. The residue left in the barrel vanishes the next shot.

Regarding weight, Alliant states that it is "denser" than Red Dot, so as suggested above, measure your load before proceeding to work up the correct load.

I use a bushing in my P/W that is not even listed in the reloading manual. I drop a very light load in an attempt to duplicate the Federal Gold Metal Extra-Lite.

I really like to powder, have used it for several yaers, and more importantly, its cost.

Whiz

#10 ·
I have loaded at least 80lbs of it since it came out. I think it is one of, if not the best, 1oz. powders available at this time, regardless of cost. The fact that it is economical is just a by product and added benefit to this powder. I find it to really be a fairly clean burning powder. I test weigh every new jug, even if it has the same lot number, just to be safe, and I also spot weigh about every 100 shells or so. I load it strictly for 1oz loads for singles and first shot on doubles. STS hull, Cheddite, or Fiocchi 616 primer, 17.0gr Promo, Green duster wad, 1oz. magnum 81/2 shot. Great, economical load that does a job on the targets... Dan Thome (Trap2)

#12 ·
Used Clays or Clay Dot until both became really hard to get and I finally ran out of them. Started on my 1st 8# jug of Promo this weekend, using 17.0gr for both 7/8oz and 1oz loads of #8s, using CB0178 and CB1100 wads respectively, and Fiocchi 616 primers. So far so good; and not the least bit dirty. Now the question is how long will it be before Promo also becomes hard to get???

#13 ·
Chichay

You might want to check how those loads do with the Fiocchi primer in the cold, before you decide to use them for something that counts this Winter. Put a box in the freezer overnight and then put them over a chronograph and see what they do. The Fiocchi 616 primers worked OK for me in warmer weather. They did quite poorly in the cold. This was in similar loadings to what you posted. I found using a different primer eliminated the problem.

#15 ·
Quack Shot,

Thanks for the heads up re Fiocchi 616s. I live in NJ and have used them in the winter without problem, but probably it was just not cold enough. I have the same loads with W209s; so when the deep freeze hits, your advise will come to mind. Thanks again. Chichay

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.