1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PROMO POWDER

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

FOLKS,
    I asked this question over at the Shotgun Forum. Is anyone shooting PROMO ?
    I'd like to try it in the (new style) AA & STS hulls ( 12 gauge )-Win 209 primer-Green duster wads-1 ounce load . I thought about 18 grains .I've read some fellows are also using it with a 7/8 ounce load. What bushing are you folks using for it in a PW 800 + ? I'm told it really varies in density from batch to batch-hence the cost factor I'm quessing.
    I'd like to know how you like/dislike about it ?
    Thank you in advance for your time & help.
    SOUP

2. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

you have to scale promo, it varys from lot to lot.

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I use 16.5 gr in STS GC and AA hulls with Claybuster wad cheddite primer. Yes you must keep check on the drops as it does vary from lot to lot. I also go to 17.5 for 11/8 loads. Jake

4. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

I have been using it now for about 3 years and LOVE the powder. Great price, shoots well and have had NO problems with it. Yes you do need to check lot to lot but that is no big deal. I tend to buy 16 or so lbs at a time and it is the same lot so until I have to buy powder again I don't need to worry about it. It is a lot like Red Dot and uses similar load data. It is a little more dirty then Red Dot but for the price it is not a big deal.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Great powder, Great Price. It's pretty much the same as Red Dot, except the density can vary from lot to lot and it is a little more dense, so you would usually need a smaller bushing to drop the same amount as Red Dot. Red Dot data is pretty much interchangeable for it, if you believe the company. Some people say it's more dirty than some other powders, but I find it's no better or worse, provided you load it to reasonable pressures. Not too hot or not too low. 8000 to 9500 PSI would seem to be about right. It works in 7/8 to 1 1/8 oz target loads. I have found the Fiocchi 616 primer can give some poor results with Promo in cold weather. Winchester, Cheddites, Federals, or even the Rio primers seem to give reliable ignition for cold weather, among others.

Check the Alliant website for data.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Promo allows you to load just as the factories load shells. Producing powder can be a challenge. You can put in the same ingredients each time but come out with a different product. When Alliant intends to make a batch of Red Dot, they know what they will use for ingredients. If the batch comes out exactly to the specifications for Red Dot, red dots are mixed in and the powder is sold to us. If the powder is a little too fast or too slow, it is sole to shell manufacturers with instructions to add or subtract a little to make it equivalent to Red Dot. That is what we also get to do with Promo.

Pat Ireland

7. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

J2JAKE is right on target, PROMO works great just keep an eye on how much your dropping.
    It flows well in my 9000H.

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Soup: I have loaded a lot of Promo powder. It is a good powder at a very decent price. I load exclusively Remington hulls, (STS and Gun Clubs). I use Fiocchi primers, DR wads and 17.4 grains, (1 oz. shot) for 16 yd. and 18 grains, (1 1/16 oz shot) for handicap. Just make sure you have a scale and experiment with your bushings until you find the one that meets your needs. Then mark it accordingly. Personally I rework most of my bushings to throw exactly the charge I want. Good Luck. Ed

9. TomP

TomP TS Member

I have used it for a while with no problems at all. I do scale every new jug but truth be told I haven't needed to change my bushing since starting to use it (on my fourth jug). I am using the J bushing with one oz. loads.

10. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Hit,

I bought four jugs (32 lbs.) of Promo, Lot # CE 0519, and found the J Bushing throws 18.2 gr. on my 800+. I load Estates (twice), Gun Clubs, STS, AA (old and new) without changing anything but my wads. I load ounce with either DRA 12 Pink or DR XXL orange and a 1 1/8 ounce load with DRA 12 White. I use Fio 616 primers exclusively. My reloading life is therefore simplified.

When I reorder Promo and get a different lot I will have to weigh my charges again to find out which bushing throws about 18 grains of that Lot and I am back in business. I am about halfway through this Lot.

YMMV

HBT

11. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Good as any. Better than some.........Just do all the things suggested above...Roger

12. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Old Texas Marine, I don't know if your aware, but the Estate hulls, being straight walled will give you about 60 fps less velocity everything else being the same. I have chronograph ed them and that was my experience. Semper fi BRGII

13. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

BRGII

I haven't chrono'd them, but I knew they would be slower than the Rem/AA hulls. That is one reason I settled on the J bushing. The next smaller bushing threw 17.4 grains and I thought that might be a little slow with the Estate hulls. The reason I load these is I bought 15 - 20 flats back when they were <$45/flat and I have a ton of hulls.

I broke my first 25 straight with these reloads so they are fast enough.

Semper fi,

HBT

PS check out the URL above.

14. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Pat,
    I think if I remember correctly Promo powder is a mix of several Alliant powders. I think they said it is over run and some powders that did not come out 100% correct and they take all of these powders and mix them to come up with Promo which is why you have to check each lot.

15. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Old Texas Marine, Thanks for URL, really enjoyed it. Merry Christmas to you and yours. Semper Fi BRG II

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reloading data for fi 616 primers