1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by waverider, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Promo loads like Red Dot by weight, however the density is not same. You need to find the correct bushing by weighing a bunch of drops and rechecking every 5 or 10. Once you find the correct bushing you are good until you open a new keg from a different lot number. A good starting place is the 2 bushing sizes less.

I have not been to the Alliant site in awhile, but there is or used to be a down-loadable manual in pdf format that had data under "Promo".

Jason

edited: I just check out Alliant's site with the link above. On the home page in the lower left hand side there is a link for the down-loadable manual. The Promo data is now mixed in with the rest of the powders.

2. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Use the load data for Red Dot and be sure to weigh your charge when you change lot#s
    Sonny Daniels

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I love it.

I use a tad less bushing for it, than what Red Dot lists for it.

In fact, I use if for singles 1 1/8 and 1 oz, but the P/W chart does not list it because I shoot an extra-lite load. I am using a custom bushing, I call an "H1" for P/Ws sake. It mics at 0.424". The "H" bushing mics at about 0.420". I have the H1 in a Spolar at this moment, but it is the same bushing I put in the P/W 800 Plus.

I have the Spolar set up for 1 oz loads (Federal papers are my 1st choice), and the P/W for 1 1/8 oz in old and new once-fired AA's.

I really like the powder. To me it doesn't appear any dirtier that WST which I also use because I have so much of it.

Whiz White

4. locdoc

locdoc Member

I'm not aware of any "Promo specific" load info/data. Alliant has always said to use the "same drop weight" as Red Dot. Where the two powders have different weight to volume ratios you would be well advised to scale the drop weights of your bushings to see which one(s) will drop the correct amount of Promo.

An example: You have found a load recipe that uses, let's say, 17.5 grains of Red Dot. Use the bushing that drops 17.5 grains of Promo and you should be good to go.

I believe that Promo is more dense than Red Dot so if you normally use Red Dot then you will need to use a smaller bushing for the Promo.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

5. locdoc

locdoc Member

From the Alliant web site:

Promo

Smokeless shotshell powder
    America's number one economy-priced 12 gauge target powder. Promo has the same burn speed as Red Dot, but is more dense, thus requiring a smaller bushing to obtain the same charge weight.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

6. whiz white

The powder is more dense, consequently it would "pack" more of itself into a bushing. Therefore, I recommend to begin about a half grain less when setting up a load.

Then drag out the chronograph. That's what I did anyway.

Whiz

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This stuff is a mystery around my parts, no ones got not many heard of it no ones stocking it? Massachusetts. Im looking to go on budget for fun shoot'n

8. whiz white

It's got to be the cheapest priced powder on the market.

Not sure why it hasn't caught on in lots of areas.

Whiz

9. 682b

682b Member

Promo is made in Virginia. The best price I can find is 90.00 locally. It is made in the western part of the state, I live in the eastern portion. The price is not that bad but in Kansas it is about 75.00 from Powder valley. After paying shipping and the hazmat fee it is still cheaper to buy from them. Oh by the way Graf's price is comparable. JIM

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

bigboy- More specifically, Promo is made at the only remaining Army Ammunition Plant that still produces powder. It is located 5 miles W of Christiansburg on Peppers Ferry Road (Rt 114) and 4 miles E of the community of Fairlawn. The plant is operated by Alliant.

The price differences you quoted may reflect the dealers overhead costs more than the transportation charges. There are some places in Penna. that offer good reloading prices. Ask the guys at the Winchester club. They seem to always know where to buy components at the lowest price.

Pat Ireland

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Ran200

You cannot load Promo that way. Every lot can have a different density. You MUST verify with a scale.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.