Trapshooters Forum banner

Promo Powder

7K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  slide action 
#1 ·
How many people use Promo powder? How do you like it? Any problems? Any drawbacks? What bushing to use with a 366 loader? I am looking for 18.5 grains for a 1200 fps load.

I have the opportunity to pick up some Promo and have never used it. Any advice from the experts here on TS.com?

trufan

#2 ·
I have been using Promo for about 1 year. New style AA hulls cheddite primers 1 1/8 7.5 shot claybuster wads 1118 all good. Some say it is dirty I don't feel it is that bad but I do clean my gun after each shooting. It was also a very resonable price I was paying $90. plus tax. Can't find any now wish I could . Joe

#3 ·
I am not an expert on it but I did shoot 24 pounds of it. It was okay. But I did move on to Green Dot, mainly because to me I could get same results with less recoil. Or at least I feel that way.

Give it a fair chance and you might just like it. I know other that would not shoot anything else.

That is why there are different kinds. One that works good for one shooter may not be the ticker for another shooter.

I had to change powders because Clays is not available right now. When and if it ever makes it back I will immediately go back to it.

Shoot well and safe.

Ross Randall

#4 ·
Promo is a powder blended of other powders that did not make the burning rate they were specified to. It is blended to give the same burning rate as Red Dot. Promo uses the same loading scale as Red Dot--BUT--It does not take the same bushing because of the density of the different powders. So if your load calls for 17 grains, you'll have to find the right bushing to give you that amount. You have to check each jug to make sure the bushing truly drops what you think it does.

Some say it's dirty and some say it's clean. I supposed it could be both, depending on what powders were used at the time it was blended.

Ajax

#12 ·
Agreed with all above. I did as was indicated above and started with a lower busing. Came to pass that I had to go two bushing (Hornady used in a GRAND) sizes LARGER to get the weight I wanted. Shake the jug every time you add powder to the loader and you will not have ANY problems. It's good stuff!

#13 ·
If there is a drawback for Promo, it appears to be less clean in gas operated autos than some other powders (i.e., Clays). I don't view it as being a dirty powder for break open guns. Promo is very efficient and provides consistent velocities in the loadings I use. Ralph

#15 ·
It is the best powder you can buy, right now anyway.

There is a reason why every store that sells powder, when stopping in or call on the phone, the first words out of their mouth is, "We have Promo"! I imagine the factories are sweeping every nook and cranny to fill those containers. The reason you have to shake the container, is to get all of the grit, and dust to settle to the bottom.

I am being facetious, I know. Hey if it is what is available, what choice do we have. Just remember if it goes "Bang", when you pull the trigger, it is not the powders fault.

#18 ·
Here is an interesting question. If Promo powder really is a blend of various powders that didn't make the cut as some other type of powder, and if this blend varies all over the place from jug to jug, then why so much concern if someone accidentally mixes a few tablespoon of shotgun Powder A in with several pounds of shotgun Powder B? Seems like they could just mix it up well and load it conservatively as Powder B. Just thinking out loud. :)

Easystreet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.