Trapshooters Forum banner

Promo Powder

9K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  over the hill 
#1 ·
My powder supplier was out of Clay Dot so he suggested I try Promo. Paid $89 for 8lb jug.

Loaded 17.4 grains with 1 oz load in a STS hull - between 1150 and 1200 fps.

Shoots nicely and not much smell after you fire a shot (I like the smell of fired Federal shell with Clay Dot).

Is 17.4 grains a good load?

#2 ·
I shoot 7/8 ounce over 16.5 grains of promo.

Very mild recoil, yet still crushes targets back to about 20 yrd line...

Great powder - I bought four jugs - all with same lot # so once adjusted I have little to deal with when changing jugs.

#9 ·
I use 19.5 gr, 1 1/8 oz reclaimed to practice on the 27.....

17.5 gr. 1 1/8 for singles and both shots doubles..nothing but smoke...

tony

#12 ·
I've been using all this year for the first time I'm using 18.5 grains, 1 1/8 oz of recycled shot, cheddite primers and downrange wads in Gun Club shells so far no problem, I started using because of the price and it seems as good as either Red Dot or e3. Not as clean as e3 but for the price I can do a little more cleaning

warren

#14 ·
promo in my opinion is hard to beat for the money... my favorite is 17.5 with a ounce of eagle 8 and green duster nobel or rio primer in gun clubs or sts/nitro

I have loaded up 4 boxes of the 20 gauge recipe posted above and shot 1 box so far (is there something I should know?)

#17 ·
In my opinion, 18.5-19.5 Promo and 1-1/8 shot is way TOO MUCH! Where are you getting this data (and why do you think you need the speed)?
I'm using 16.5grs. with 7/8oz. with excellent results. One very good shooter at my club is using only 3/4oz. from 27yds., and consistently breaking birds!
In the 20ga., at skeet, I'm using only 11grs. with 3/4oz. Breaks every target I point right, and functions an 1100!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.