1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

promo powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shubble72, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

Does anyone use promo powder with good results. Could you please tell me what mec bushing you are using fot 1 ounce and for 1 1/8. Can you replicate sts or nitros?

2. smartass

smartass TS Member

yes, no, no

3. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

Up to my 10th jug now, as good as any powder I have used. I use an adjustable bar on a 9000 and would wonder why a person would do otherwise.

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

17.5 grains for 1 oz loads.

18.0 grains for 1-1/8 oz loads.

Green or Blue Duster wads and a Rio primer. Real cheap load to offset the high price of shot.

I prefer the 1oz load with #8 shot.

It was good back to 23 this year.

Good Luck.

5. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

17.5 grains for 1 oz loads.

18.0 grains for 1-1/8 oz loads.

Green or Blue Duster wads and a Rio primer. Real cheap load to offset the high price of shot.

I prefer the 1oz load with #8 shot.

It was good back to 23 this year.

Good Luck.

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Promo is a discounted version of Red Dot. You can use the same recipes by weight. There should be Promo specific recipes in the manual that you down load at the link above. You need to find or confirm the bushing that you need for the grain weight that you want, because the density varies from lot to lot, more than it does with Red Dot. So if you want to load Promo you must have a scale. Use the American Select bushing chart as a starting point.

Because it is a relative fast powder you can get to the ballistic level of the STS Light Handicap load, ie 1 1/8 oz 1200 f/s. It is a little too fast for the Nitro level. Use Green Dot or American Select for Nitro ballistics.

Jason

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jason- You gave a very good answer to this question.

Pat Ireland

8. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

I have been using mec 31 for 1 oz.& mec 32 for 1 1/8 oz.

9. jrdlanes

jrdlanes Member

Adjustable bar & a scale (whatever powder you use!). I have found that a light load of promo normally does not give me a complete burn. Generally 18 gr of 1 oz works well (& leaves very little residue in the barrel). And 19 for for 7/8ers (just a gentle push to the shoulder).

I don't care for promo on 1200 fps (& faster) 1 1/8 oz loads. Just my opinion. I think there are better options available but I really like it for lighter payloads. John

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

I have been using it for a while now,17.5 for 10z and 5 grains in a .45ACP under a cast 230 bullet.

Promo is a bit dirty, but I clean my firearms regularly.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It works great if you load it right. There's usually a variation from lot to lot. Sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. Check your loads by chilling them before loading a ton for the winter. I usually put a box in the freezer and shoot them five at a time over a chronograph. I have found some popular "budget" primers did not work well in some loads for me when so tested. It was some off sounding loads in cold weather that prompted me to test them cold. I had the same issue with several other powders. The main issue I have is that there is very little loading data for Promo powder. It is "Similar" to Red Dot, so you can use that data, within reason. I'd stay away from the hotter loads and be careful if swapping primers. The Rio primers appear to be rather hot, so be careful. Promo is one of the least expensive powders and there are some shortfalls. I use a lot of it and I can't complain too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.