1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo Powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I just purchased a couple of kegs of Promo. I have always used Red Dot or Clays. The price was reasonable and I have heard good reports on the powder. I'm trying to "load down" a shell that would be a pleasure to shoot with very little recoil. I load STS hulls, Fiocchi primers, TGT 12 wads with 1 ounce of #8. I loaded a couple of boxes with 18 grains of Promo. I felt this was a little "stiff". I then dropped the powder charge down to 17.5 grains. This seemed much better. I now am contemplating going to 17 grains. Anybody out there load Promo and if so, how light of a charge of powder do you load? This would be for 16 yard shooting. Thanks. Ed

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I think you will find 17 Gr load shoots well. I've loaded promo in the 17 to 17.5 gr level with 1 oz shot for a couple years and like it.

Jim

3. Pacemaker

Pacemaker Member

go to Alliants web site and get some load data from the mfg.

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Alliants website has no information regarding loading Promo 1 ounce loads using Fiocchi primers. They list 2 loads; 18 gr. (1200fps) and 19 grains (1255fps) using the TGT12 wad with a Rem. 209 primer in an STS hull. I don't want that hot a load. So the only input I can gain is from fellow shooters that are presently shooting this combination. Ed

5. gridlock

gridlock Member

esoxhunter, I have loaded Promo for over two years. I use 16.5gr.green duster wads,Fiocchi primers and sts or gun club hulls. I carried a 97% avg.2007 on 5600 reg. 16yd targets. Hope this helps.

6. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

Alliant says promo loads the same as red Dot by WEIGHT.

Arnie

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ed....I am on my 8th keg of Promo, and I really like it. My 1oz. load is STS hull, Fiocchi primer, 16.5gr. Promo, Green Duster wad. Very soft shooting and just destroys targets......Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Ed, Alliant instructs you to use Red Dot data for Promo. Just make sure you weigh charges, because Promo uses different bushing than Red Dot for the same charge weight.

17gr as recommended above will make a nice load that goes about 1150fps.

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

FWIW - I don't like recoil, but I have an o/u I like for sporting, so I load light. I shoot sporting for fun, and low recoil and lower $hot expense makes it more fun. I use 16.0-16.5 grs of Promo (it depends on the batch of Promo) in STS with 1 ounce and it works much better than expected.

BTW - I asked Alliant that since they had Red Dots loads in that range for 1 1/8 ounce, could I load 1 ounce that low. They said yes. I didn't ask why their 1 ounce loads only went down to 18.0 grains of Red Dot & Promo. Any of you know?

10. richrob

richrob TS Member

17 gr for 1 oz, 16 for 7/8oz, fio primers, tgt, rem hull. Shoot soft and pattern great out of my browning. -Rich

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

17 grains is about right for a decent lighter load with 1oz. I throw about 17.1 and it's a good load. I have had some trouble with the Fiocchi primers in these loads in colder weather and have changed to the Winchester or Cheddite in the winter. I was getting some off sounding loads and lowered velocities. It happens with Red Dot also and Green Dot to a lesser extent in heavier loads. I can duplicate the issue by putting the shells in the freezer for eight hours and then running them over a chronograph. No problems with the other primers. I tried a different wad, but the change in primers fixed it.

12. qshot

qshot TS Member

Guys I shoot skeet( but guys i shoot with use the same load i do for 16 yard trap) below is my recipe.

Rem. Hulls

ched 209 primer

16.7 Grains promo

7/8 oz. #8 shot

CB 1078 Wad

Charlie

13. coltlover

coltlover Member

I, too, primarily shoot skeet w/ an occasional round of sporting clays. Use Promo exclusively for my 12ga needs. Use Rem Gun Club hulls, Noble Sport primers & CB1100 or CB1118 wads. Drop 18.5gr of Promo for both. The 1oz load works great for skeet & 90% of sporting targets. Repeatedly hear how dirty the powder is. I have yet to observe this. I've noticed a small amount of unburnt powder in my Krieghoffs, but has proved to be very clean in both Remington & Beretta autos (go figure). I'd use this powder even if it was @ the same price point as Clays or what ever "Wonder Powder" was out there.

14. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

Here is some information from the horses mouth:

Thia is an email to Allinat:

I am looking for 12 ga. 1 oz data for the following components.

STS/Gun club
    CCI 209
    Original WJ wads
    Red Dot powder

Looks to me like about 16.5 gr. should be right.....what is your
    recommendation?

My next buy of components will change as follows:

STS
    Fiocchi 209
    Original WJ wads
    Promo powder

What are your recommendations for this?

Your suggestion of 16.5 grs should work fine and give you about 1150
    fps. Gong up to 17.5 grs should yield 1200 fps and 18.5 grs will take
    you to about 1250 fps. When you go to Promo and the Fiocchi primer, try
    the same charge. Thanks for your note and let me know if you have any
    additional questions.

Ben Amonette
    Consumer Service Manager
    Alliant Powder Company
    www.alliantpowder.com

15. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

I have been using a mec loader with a 32 bushing and that works good

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

hdllliii

Do you bother to weigh your powder drops? A good scale can help to keep you out of trouble. Promo can vary quite a bit from lot to lot and a responsible reloader would check it.

17. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

I have used Promo powder for about two years, and love it. I load 18gr for singles, and 19.5 gr for handicap. I also use STS-Nitro 27, and even federal paper hulls with claybuster wad and cheddite primer. Promo is great for one ounce loads also, that is when I load 17.5 - 18 grs. I dont find that recoil is a problem with any of these loads. Plus I can still find eight pound kegs for $84.00-$87.00 which makes it cost effect to shoot....GOOD LUCK.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.