1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo powder shooters...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

What Mec bushing(s) are you guys using to drop 18 grains? I know lots will vary so it may change for every tub of the stuff.

I am just looking for an idea on what bushing to be looking at.

Thanks

2. locdoc

locdoc Member

I have not loaded it for my own use but have set up machines for use with Promo. My findings are as follows.... Start with a bushing two or three SMALLER than the bushing that throws the same amount of Red Dot. Your scales are your friend on this one.....This info is backed up by those that do use Promo.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

3. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

4. richrob

richrob TS Member

30 -31

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

31 -32, But I"m using a powder baffle.

Jim

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

#30 18.2 gr

#31 18.7 gr

Using PC powder Baffle.

7. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I was a 700x shooter forever and the price of Promo has me shooting it now. On my Mec 9000 I have the metal powder baffle and its a 32 to get around 18 grains. Loading and weighing I am getting 17.7 to 18.2 variances. I never had this with 700x as it always metered perfect.

I really like shooting the Promo though and have not seen/heard any "off" loads.

Thanks for the info!!

8. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Promo is great for 1 oz loads. Can't beat the price, the performance and the fact its American made doesn't hurt either.

You can also get STELLAR service from both Ben and Paul at Alliant.

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I, too, was a dyed in the wool 700X user until I discovered Promo. I use a Universal charge bar in my Mec 9000H so I can set the powder charge anywhere I want it. I quit using bushings years ago because I got tired of changing them every time a lot of powder changed. Best $25.00 I ever spent! I load 16grs. of Promo for singles and doubles and 18.5grs for long yardage handicap, both with 11/8oz. 71/2's, original Windjammer wads and Fiocchi primers in a Remington hull. Very economical powder that does a great job....Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Dan Thome. I have also been shooting Promo with WJ wads, started last year and had good success. I am this year going to the Fiochi primer along with the Promo. I will use with Remington hulls and see how they work out. Have you loaded Federal Top Guns? Alliant doesn't give a load for Fio., WJ, Promo or Red Dot and Top Guns.
    Post-2

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Post-2.....I have not loaded any Top Guns with promo. If I were to load them, however, I would use a Federal wad, or a Claybuster Federal clone. Alliant should have a load for Red Dot in Federal hulls. Promo and Red Dot load the same so just follow the Red Dot data for Gold Medals, etc. with Federal wads and you should be fine. It has been my experience that the Windjammer wad seats too loose in the Federal straight walled hull to get a good gas seal, and the Windjammer will set too low in the Federal Hull which will cause your crimps to dish considerably.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.