1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo Powder Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by flylta, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flylta

flylta TS Member

Have any of you tried promo powder. I shoot for fun and it would save me a little money but wanted some input before stepping over to it.

Right now a shoot Red Dot and I've been told it's very similar.

What has been your experience with it?

Thanks
    Ron

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

If you want to really save money buy some rex powder from connies components you can get 25 pounds delivered to your door for around 230.00 or so.

Bill

3. flylta

flylta TS Member

It there documentation for it? Shoots well? Not too bad for fouling?

Thanks
    Ron

4. mike b.

mike b. Member

Promo is a great powder. Buy in quantity( 32#) from Graf and Son and cost is about $85 for 8#( 12-07). Little dirty...somewhat, but swipe the cleaning rod one more time (2 seconds). Weigh each containers grains per bushing because it may vary per lot #. Use same grains as per Red Dot, but bushing size will be smaller because of higher density.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

REX I is a great powder. However, the 25 lb "family size" keg cannot be shipped by common carrier, such as UPS. It CAN be trucked in with targets if your club's distributor handles it. It is soft shooting in standard 1 1/8 oz loads. I like Remmie hulls, 18 gr REX I, RXP12 wad, Cheddite primer, and 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2's. Vaporizes 'em back to the 27.

Promo has the same burn speed as Red Dot. It can be loaded AS Red Dot, grain for grain. It is a little denser, and requires different powder bushings.

6. Bwanar

Bwanar TS Member

I've had great luck with it. Might be a little dirtier than Red Dot, but dirty is dirty. Never give it a second thought. Maybe if I shot a gas operated auto AND planned to go 1000 rounds between cleanings. I check my weights with each new batch, but I'm on the 5th one and still no variations here! Loads like Red Dot like everyone says by weight.

7. nipper

nipper TS Member

If a load has a dirty burning powder,would not the next round fired clean out the barrel??

Bill

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

It's good stuff. I use it for my soft singles loads and load just a tad under the same infor for Red Dot.

It has to be the cheapest powder around. My gun club is selling it for $76/8# for our March member buy.

WW

9. porky

porky TS Member

It is a excellent powder for singles and doubles, but really not for handicap unless you are at the shorter handicap distances. I am thankful that there are powders such as this to help shooters keep the costs of trap shooting down.

10. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I started using it about a 1 and 1/2 years ago and haven't looked back.

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Promo is OK for me and at $73/8lb jug (last years price) it is hard to beat.

I have used it in Beretta 390/391's with cleaning every 1000+ rounds so it works with those semi-autos.

Now, both of us are shooting fixed breach guns and any added "dirt" is of no consequence.

Use the same recipes as Red Dot but as stated, powder drops need to be checked as it drops different and varies lot to lot. I buy 4-6 jugs at a time of the same lot so the variation is not a hassle for me.

Don

12. qshot

qshot TS Member

I am on my third jug of promo right now. Promo is a very good powder for light loads and I can get it locally for $77 bucks a 8 pounder which is the only way you can buy it is 8#. Charlie

13. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

I have used Promo about a year, works great EXCEPT in Cold weather. I have had several blooper loads in the cold weather, I have also heard other people say the same thing. I do use it for 16s and doubles all summer long, 17.4 grains with a 1 ounce of 8's

14. flylta

flylta TS Member

Thanks for all the info guys. guess I'll get me 8# of promo and try it out. I have like Red Dot but if this shoots the same andcosts less I'm all for that.

Thanks again

Ron

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

Hey Dennis,

I sue the same load here in MI. Try changing the wad - your load should not yield bloopers (unless the was is cocked on seating or not sealing properly).

I use the Green Duster in STS/AA/Gun Club hulls.

Don

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

19.2 grains of Promo-Remington STS Hull-Federal, Claybuster 12SO wad-Rio Primer
    1 ounce of shot-1255 fps- 18 grains yields 1200 fps.

I went to 1 oz loads this week because of shot prices, I know alot of you have been using 1 oz loads for years, but I wanted the competetive edge, psychologically I felt more confident in 1 1/8th ounce loads, but now cost has become a factor, I get 2 more boxes of shells out of 25 lb bag shot.

You heard if from me.
    Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. flylta

flylta TS Member

Are you changing the wad to shoot 1oz loads or putting in some kind of filler or just not worrying about that little amount of space?

Thanks
    Ron

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Promo is a great powder. I use it in a few gas pipes and have no trouble with it being "dirty". My 1100 has gone 1500 rounds between cleanings on occasion. Be sure to weigh each new jug, especially if it's from a different lot. They can vary quite a bit. I buy a few caes at a time to ensure that I don't have to play with bushings too often.

The cold weather issues I've encountered were from using the Fiocchi primers. The only wads that were an issue were some blue and green ones that were defective, The manufacturer had used some plastic that would fracture in cold weather. I've used Promo for years and will continue to use it. Rex is also a good powder, but Promo is easily available in most areas. I've had trouble getting a supply of Rex.

Buy the Promo and don't worry about anything. It works well and you won't notice any difference between it and Red Dot, except for the bushings.

19. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I use 16.5 grs in a 7/8 load. Great for singles and 1st shot of doubles. Have been using them for practice from the 25 also. For hdcp score I use 17.5, blue claybuster wad and nitro 27 hull. All good, Jake

20. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

" If a load has a dirty burning powder,would not the next round fired clean out the barrel??"

This is a joke, right???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.