1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo Powder Metering

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Fowler, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Fowler

Old Fowler TS Member

I've noted that I'm getting some weight variations since I began loading Promo powder. Didn't have this issue with Red Dot and Green Dot. About 25% of my powder drops can be 3 or 4 tenths off, mostly higher. As an example, I weighed 25 rounds this afternoon and found 20 shells weighed 17.3 to 17.4, but then found 5 which weighed 17.7 to 17.9.

Wondering if any others have experienced this?

Thanks,

OF

2. Old Fowler

Old Fowler TS Member

I've noted that I'm getting some weight variations since I began loading Promo powder. Didn't have this issue with Red Dot and Green Dot. About 25% of my powder drops can be 3 or 4 tenths off, mostly higher. As an example, I weighed 25 rounds this afternoon and found 20 shells weighed 17.3 to 17.4, but then found 5 which weighed 17.7 to 17.9.

Wondering if any others have experienced this?

Thanks,

OF

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I believe you need more controlled conditions before making a determination.

If it varies while the bottle is more than half full (I never let it get below half) then you need to shake the jar up or turn it over a few times to redistribute the fines.

If you let the bottle go empty you can expect lighter charges on the bottom.

Use a baffle. Then you can empty the bottle.

HM

4. Old Fowler

Old Fowler TS Member

Thanks Ross, agree.

Right HM. I assumed a lot in my original post that I didn't add. The powder bottle was half full when I weighed the 25 rounds. I had just added the powder after shaking the 8# keg and loaded a box prior to weighing the 25 rounds. I tried my best to engage the arm, both up and down the same each time. I absolutely use a baffle, always have....it's a must.

The variable seems to be the Promo because I always weigh about 4 shells per box (I always load deliberately rather than for speed) and I haven't had this issue with other powders, including Titegroup.

Have you had this problem with Promo? Plan to also call Alliant tomorrow but was wondering if others have had this problem prior to my call.

Thanks,

OF

5. dimapower

dimapower Member

Similar variances for me - range .4 grains

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Comments on other websites are that PROMO actually is more consistent without the baffle. The red plastic baffle for MEC being the worst culprit. Retry without the baffle and see if it is better. PROMO in my Spolar which has no baffle has not varied anywhere near that much. Normally .2 grains total spread with every lot of PROMO that I have used

--- Chip King ---

7. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

sometimes .6-8, but try a static towel and after filling i drop about 5-6 drops then start the reloading. seems ok.I may this spring drop one size bushing and see how the shells shoot good luck. Mec 600jrmk5
    Railroad

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I usually get drops within 2 or 3 tenths. I DON'T use a baffle. I've had some problems with powder bridging in them, especially medium to larger grained stuff like Promo and Red Dot. Tried both types and won't use one. The only advantage was using the red baffle with fine grained powders like Titegroup, since they seal better and keep the leakage in check. Usually a new brass washer and a good rubber grommet helps almost as much. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Also, if a few tenths of a grain will put your load over the top, pressure wise, you need to select a different load.

Consitency of press operation can help quite a bit, in keeping your powder drops consistent. I drop a half dozen or more and then start to check them. I'll also check them periodically throughout the loading process, just to be sure.

9. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

On my 800+ my drops are 17.9 every time I check them. Maybe the drops that are off are the ones I don't check. All is good with Promo on my side.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

The speed at which the handle is pulled down can affect powder drops. Pulling the handle very fast can result in light charges. I use a baffle that is as wide as my powder hopper. Baffles restricted to the neck area of the hopper don't seem to work as well. Shaking the powder container before filling the hopper is not necessary. When the powder is poured into the hopper it separates on the way down and then becomes compacted as the machine operates. I do tap on the sides of the powder hopper after filling and operate my machine several times with the shot/powder turned off to compact the powder a bit more.

I have gotten light charges when I have not noticed my powder hopper is empty and I keep loading. I am probably th only one dumb enough to make that mistake.

Pat Ireland

11. capvan

capvan Active Member

It seems the biggest variable in reloading in general is the speed and force in which the handle is operated. I visited a friend who just got a new Dillon machine and I thought he was splitting wood, with the speed and force that he operated the machine. His theory was that he bought the machine for "speed" and the machine should be able to handle whatever he wanted to do with it.

Whenever anyone asks me about a reloading problem, my first advice is to slow down and think. A lot of problems get solved this way.

Bruce

12. chipking

chipking TS Member

Nope Pat I have been dumb enough to do that a few times. Brain in neutral, the rhythm smooth and steady, life is good, OH CRAP!!!

--- Chip King ---

13. Old Fowler

Old Fowler TS Member

Thanks to all for your responses.

14. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

My drops with Promo vary no more than .2 gr when checking 5 consecutive or spot checking during loading.

I use a 366 with the Downrange baffle and either 441 or 444 depending on the batch of Promo. I target 17.7 gr. for 1 oz. loads.

SW

15. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

F/S - Several little red plastic powder baffles for MEC reloaders...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.