1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo Powder Is it a clean burner?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by oldstuff, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldstuff

oldstuff Member

Just wondering how clean Promo Powder is.

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

It's clean enough... All Promo is.. is American select brought up to Red Dot burning rates.. Being there #1 selling powder by poundage..you don't really think its leftovers.. and over runs???? now do you...???

3. wm rike

wm rike Member

I loaded my first batch of Promo with an ounce of shot last week. The charges were weighning just shy of 18 grs. I was surprised at how clean it is. It can save you 25-50 cents a box compared to the top drawer powders. What's not to like?

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You know, I heard that "claim" when Promo first came out.

I got a couple of kegs and loved the stuff. It is less dirty than 700X or even WST, but then what is "dirty?" Does this mean there is residue left, or does it gum up with oil etc? As far as reside is concerned, it is not a concern, and if gumming-up is a problem, use less oil or grease.

The next shot blows any residue out the barrel.

It's one of the best powder bargains on the market as far as I am concerned.

Whiz

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

When Alliant makes a batch of Red Dot powder, the final product may or may not come out with the exact specifications for Red Dot. It the batch is too different to be considered Red Dot, it is sold to shell manufacturers who can make charge adjustments to get the load they want.

Promo is similar to the OEM powders sold to shell manufacturers. Eighteen grains of Promo from different lots will burn at the same rate, but a different bushing may be required to get 18 grains of Promo from different lots.

Variation in powder lots is due to variation in wood pulp. Forty tons of ground up trees delivered to the plant in April may be slightly different from 40 tons of ground up trees delivered in June. Not every tree is exactly the same.

Pat Ireland

6. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I've loaded two cases of Promo over last year or so. I use if for my one oz loads.

I have done some 1-1/8 oz, but feel Green Dot is a better shooting powder for those.

Don't know what anyone considers "dirty" as every powder I've loaded seems to leave similar amounts of residue in the barrel. The residue may look a little different from each powder, so what.

Pull the snake everytime you shoot, clean your gun completely every couple times you use it (weekly) and I don't think it matters at all.

You cannot beat it for the price. Not to mention, the suppliers in our area still have it on the shelf, so availability is good!

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I only load 7/8 oz loads in 12 gauge and Promo is the only powder I now use. I have reluctantly just begun loading Cheddite primers since the AA209s have been hard to find and must say the Frog primers seem very satisfactory, not to mention cheap!

8. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I've always used Clays or Claydot but bought a jug of Promo because of the price.
    Uses about the same weights as I throw with the Clays and breaks and misses targets just like the Clays/Claydot does, but does leave junk in the barrel.
    After the jug is gone I'll switch back to Claydot, price difference isn't that great and Claydot leaves my barrel a lot cleaner plus there are a lot more published loads for Clays/Claydot.

9. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

No problem. Can't much difference from win, federal or Rem factory loads. I think the factory loads are dirtier.
    Railroad

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

jbmi

Promo can be used with any Red Dot recipe. I suspect there are very few hull, wad, shot and primer combinations that cannot be accommodated with Promo/Red Dot.

Clays is a great powder - I used to use it for light 12 ga loads; but switched to Promo due to the savings and no perceptible change in target performance. Now my Clays is used for pistol loads only.

Don Verna

11. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

Why has Promo's price been raised to the same price as Red Dot in Central New York? It's no bargan anymore...sshotshell

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

sshotshell - I suspect the price you mentioned is due to either the distributor, the retailer or both. It does not reflect the price of the powder in other areas. There is now a shortage of all components and someone might have temporarily raised prices to reflect this.

Pat Ireland

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Current bottle is very clean. Other bottles were not so.

14. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I cleaned my inchester 140 after 8 rounds and it was crappy dirty. But this is an internal piston, compared to Rem external piston. Not sure what to say about promo. I think I'm going sell the Whinny and stay Remington.
    Railroad

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Honestly, if you're shooting a break action gun, what difference does it make how much junk is left in the barrel? Just run a bore snake through it after you're done.

If you shoot a gas-operated semi-auto, you might be a bit more concerned, and you might want to use something like Clays.

But if you clean your semi-auto regularly, it still shouldn't matter that much.

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

As long as you keep pressure above 8500.. Promo burns as clean as anything else out there.. I've only found E-3 to be any cleaner.. Where people see it not being clean is light powder charges.. and light shot..where the pressure curve and combustion does not promote clean burning for anything..
    I agree.. its cleaner than most less expensive factory shells.. especially some imports..but as stated above.. In a break action.. it matters not.. BTW.. Promo works well in many handgun cases too...

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I never concerned myself with residue left in the barrel - it cleans out easily enough. I consider a powder "dirty" when I remove the stock and find the internal parts of the receiver coated with a black substance that is stubborn to remove. It also gets on my hands and empty hulls. Unfortunately, the "Dot" powders seem to leave a lot more of that than others. I like Green Dot a lot - it shoots very much like PB, costs less and is made just down I-81 a state or two - but I use PB because my hands, gun and empty hulls stay cleaner with it.

Ed

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Promo burns very clean in my 1 1/8th oz loads in Federal Top Gun Hulls. No complaint whatsoever. I am Pennywise and frugal & want as much as I can save in reloading, so I can shoot more targets.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I load Promo in my 3/4 and 5/8 oz loads and the low pressure causes quite a bit of crud to be left in the barrel. I had the same problem with Clays with these light loads. I keep a few Walmart Federal loads on hand to shoot a couple on the last round of the day and the crud is gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is promi powder dirty

is promo a clean powder

is promo powder dirty