1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo Powder Info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 2244alamoet, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2244alamoet

2244alamoet Member

HiGuys,just purchased 8# Promo.The Alliant book shows very little info on this powder.I'm loading AA over 1oz. shot with CB-1100 wad.Also using Wolf and Cheditte primers.The book doesn't show which bushing to use or an amount of powder for my other components.Anyone out there with anything on this powder?

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

You bought the powder and then looked for loads? Duh!!. Wolf primers have no loading data, Cheddites next to nothing. You should look into loads before buying components.

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

You can use Red Dot loading data.. but you'll need a scale.. as Promo varies greatly in density.. It can vary as much as a grain and a half from different "runs".. Don't load hot..with the mis mash of components you are using.. You'll find data with Red Dot and the 1100 wad with 1 oz and AA hulls.. That will be a good starting point.. I'd reduce it by 1 grain.. and you'll be more than safe...

4. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

The latest Alliant manual has information on many promo loads so you may have one that is dated. If you cannot get the latest copy of Alliant manual, their website has info on promo loads. Here are a few for Remington STS, Nitro 27, Premier RXP and Gun Club hulls.
    SHOT SPEED Primer Powder Wad Grains PSI
    1 1/8 1,090 Rem 209P Promo Figure 8 & DRRF8 16.5 8,300
    1 1/8 1,145 Rem 209P Promo Figure 8 & DRRF8 18 9,200
    1 1/8 1,200 Rem 209P Promo Figure 8 & DRRF8 19 10,100

5. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

The new Alliant Powder Reloaders Guide has your load listed using Red Dot and a Win.209 primer. They show speeds up to 1300 fps if you want. Substitute Red Dot with Promo using weight, not volume of a bushing. As far as Wolf primers go, here's the info I received from them.
    "It is our belief that the Wolfe primers are a bit on the inconsistent side. Therefore, they should be treated as a hot primer to be on the safe side. If you want to sub them for the Rem or Win 209 then I suggest approx a ½ gr reduction in powder charge. Thanks for your note and have a nice day."Consumer Service Manager

6. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Just what Fred said...

7. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Just started trying Promo. I am using a 366 loader. When using the same bushing does Promo usually weigh more or less than Red Dot? I'm scaling all mine and I am just curious. To get 16.6 grains of Promo I am using a 429 bushing. To get 16.6 with Red Dot I am using a 438 bushing.

8. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Be sure to use a scale. Promo does a good job and you can use Red Dot Data. As posted above Promo will NOT drop to the same weight per volume as Red Dot and you will have to go down in bushing size. Wolf primers have very little data on them as this time. I would shy away from them or consider them "hot" if you decide to use them!

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

PJ....

I load on 366s too...keep about 5 or 6 bushings around. It can change that much - the 10 bushing change is pretty standard, but I've also had jugs that didn't wary. But you MUST weigh it, as noted.

I've probably loaded 60 or 70lbs of the stuff. I like it.

10. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Thanks Jeff, tried shells today seemed to be okay. Broke targets nice. Am using Promo for doubles and singles.Just trying to save a couple bucks.Good shooting PJ

11. DanLee

DanLee Member

I just finished a sleeve of Wolf primers. Never had a failure to fire or any other untoward event. Since I was using them mainly in ultra-light loads (5/8 oz in 12, 20, and 28 gauge), I can't say what increase or decrease they might have made in pressure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.