1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

promo powder bushing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kolarshtr, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kolarshtr

Kolarshtr TS Member

just purchased a container of promo powder hoping to save some money reloading but
    cant find any info on what the bushing size is for my mec reloader. anybody know
    where I can find this information?

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Promo varies a lot (Pun intended). Red dot data will get you close but you need a powder scale. Ron

3. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

In the front of the Accurate powder manual there are several pages which tell you what bushing is designed to drop a given amount of powder for various loaders. Always use a scale to verify the powder drop.

Your component supplier should be able to supply you with a manual.

ed.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Well, now. You shoot a Kolar, I would expect you to have a scale. With Promo you definitely need one, since different lots vary in density.

HM

5. Kolarshtr

Kolarshtr TS Member

Thanx for the response guys. Yes I do own a scale, or two. I guess I was just

being lazy and looking for a quick start to my search.

Bruce

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Good morning Kolarshtr,

As you probably know, Promo has the same burn speed as Red Dot, but is more dense. The starting point you're looking for is two sizes smaller than the correct MEC bushing for the same amount of Red Dot.

For example, the MEC bushing chart says a #30 bushing will drop 17.8 grains of Red Dot. If you wanted 17.8 grains of Promo, you'd start with a #28 bushing. Of course, ALWAYS confirm actual drop weights with your scale.

sissy

PS: Reloaders can find bushing charts for MEC, Hornady, and PW loaders in the RESOURCES section of Alliant powder's webpage.

7. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

You will love Promo. It is a great powder and saves you money. Shoot it just like Red Dot. For a long time there was no data in the manual for Promo. Alliant just told you to "copy" a load from the Red Dot list. They finally copied the same data from the Red Dot list in their manual and changed the name of the powder to Promo. As all of the guys are stating above, you MUST use a powder scale. You may very well need to change bushings when you change lot numbers. You need to watch this very carefully. If you load from 17.8 to 18.2 grains you will get nice consistant loads.

8. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I re-load using a MEC 9000G, and I use a 32 bushing and that gives me 18 grains of Promo. Nice, low recoil for 1 1/8 ounce load. The book says that's 1200 FPS, but I doubt it. More like 1145 FPS.

9. chourico

chourico TS Member

I use a #30 bushing on my mec with promo and let me tell you from the 26 yd line i smoke the birds no problem!I save money and no recoil at all.Try different bushings but dont use more powder if you dont need it you will be just throwing money out the window.And as far as scales go I have never used one one thing less i need to worry about,I let my scores dictate wat i need to do.It has worked very well for me,last year i went from the 23.5yd to 26yd line and the same load is smoking them the same way.

10. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

Above post should place in the Darwin Awards next year!

11. woodchuk

woodchuk Member

I use a 29 bushing for 1 oz. and 32 for 1 1/8 loads works great .

12. Arkie

Arkie Member

My mec hydro 31 bushing on this jug is 18.0 grains but some times you have to change bushings with different jugs. Shoot good this season. Rick

13. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

Hello There!!I good friend of mine uses promo all the time one thing he was told that because promo is a mixture of variest powder sizes it's best to shake the container the powder is in before you install it in the hoppers on your mec this will aloud a better balance of the load, and only fill up you our making for shells .Hope this will help

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Almost any powder will have some fines in it, and during transportation they settle to the bottom. If you are of the fussy type it would be wise to turn the jug around and over a few times to distribute them.

The round kegs were better, you could just roll them around on the floor.

HM

15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Quick 1,

I'm with you here. Next we'll see pic's of his precious Ljutic with a split barrel and asking what happened.

chourico,

It's shooters like you that make me fussy about who I squad with. Please post what clubs you shoot at so I can avoid them like the plague!

ss

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I buy a couple of cases or more at a time with the same lot number. I still check my drops before every loading session, but at least I can go through four jugs without making major adjustments. I've seen two or three bushing sizes needed to adjust from one lot to another, and sometimes it's within a few tenths of a grain. Generally, one or two bushing sizes smaller than what you use for Red Dot. What is listed in the bushing charts sometimes isn't all that close. You need to check your drops with ascale. It's usually different between a progressive or single stage loader.

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Quick 1.. I agree

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bushing chart for promo powder

looking for what size bushing for mec reloader using promo 16 graqins

mec powder bushings promo powder

powder bushings for promo podwer

promo powder bushing chart

promo powder bushings