1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo load question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tatersaled, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

I’ve looked in all of the books that I can find for a Promo load in a Rem hull with a Fed primer 1oz and haven’t had any luck. I’d like to find a load around 1200fps under 10,000 psi. Can anyone help?
    Thanks Erwin

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Any Red Dot data you can find is the same as Promo. The density of the powders are different so the bushing guide won't be of much use.

ss

3. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

4. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

tatersalad........I have never used fed primers with promo, but i do use rem hulls with cheddite and win primers. I have loaded down to an 1 1/16 oz for singles and find that 18gr is pretty good. My typical load is 18.6 for singles and 19.5-8 for caps(27). both are 1 1/8 loads...... Like shortshucker the red dot data is pretty accurate for promo, just not the bushing size..... good luck

5. locdoc

locdoc Member

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?shotype=&weight=1.125&weightdis=1+1%2f8&shellid=492&gtypeid=3&gauge=12

Copy and paste the preceding to your browser.

Alliant shows 4 1 1/8 oz. loads using Promo and the Fed primer. ALL are over 10,000 psi loads. On the high side to start with.

Per Alliant.....The Alliant site does not even list bushings for Promo. Start with 2 bushings smaller than you would use for the same weight of Red Dot.

Good luck.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I can't find any data either that uses the F209A with a promo 1 Oz load. I use remington STS primers and 17.5 g PROMO, TGT12 wad and 1 Oz shot. The federal 209A primer does raise pressures quite a bit so I wouldn't just go for a direct substitution without some data to back it up. Any chance you could use another primer?

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Without getting into my old records, I would throw 18 gr Red Dot or Promo and have at it.

I can't see paying the ridiculous prices for Remmy primers. Use up what you have. :^)

8. samiam03

samiam03 Member

mash link above

choose Fed primers from the pull down menu

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I use Promo constantly and like it. Some say it's a dirty powder, but I don't see it any dirtier that, let's say, WST. I've always just let the next shell do the cleaning.

It is denser than Red Dot, so that means in the same bushing you'll get more Promo. Go down a bushing size from the Red Dot specs. You should pattern your reload at the distance you break your tearget to see what they look like.

I use it exclusively in an extra-lite load that is similar to the Federal Paper Extra-Lite.

I use it in once fired hulls: new style AA, old style AA, Nitro, and Federal Paper hulls. I also use an eclectic mix of primers and do not have one that I prefer. In fact in 500 reloads I could have Win, Fed or Rems in these hulls.

I have chronographed these and they seem to be what I desire, as it works for me.

Whiz White

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.