1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo instead of Red Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by revbook, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revbook

revbook Member

Promo instead of Red Dot, why not? I use Red Dot now but Promo is considerably cheaper. Would I notice any difference besides in my wallet?

Don

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Don Promo is a good powder I have gone threw 4 kegs and have 3 here at the hometead. Its loaded to same specs as red dot just it will weigh different and you may have to change bushings. I been useing 17.5gr promo and 1 1/8 of my shot, rem hull.

Cost is lower then others but has gone up since my first few kegs I got for $75.

Jerry

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

There is no difference in performance but every single time you get a new jug of Promo you have to weigh your powder drops and probably use a different powder bushing than your previous jug. Don't expect to use the same bushing that worked for Red Dot.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I switched from 700X to Promo after Hodgden bought IMR and raised the price of 700X way up, so far I'm happy with it, be sure to weigh it as it's more dense than R.D. and you will probably have to go to a SMALLER bushing than you have been using with R.D.-- Ross Puls

5. revbook

revbook Member

I would have assumed the drop would be the same. Don't worry, I would have weighed them. I'm glad I asked.

Don

6. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I've gone through at least 8 jugs of Promo. Never varied more than 441 or 444 bushing in my 366 with 1 ounce loads to drop right around 17.5 gr.

I hear people say it's dirty. Well pull a snake every time you shoot and clean your damn gun once in a while.

Great powder for 7/8 once or 1 once loads... Why pay more? I do miss the case of two for $150.00.

SW

7. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Promo is a good powder and performs much the same as Red Dot. The only problem is that is is not quite as consistent from lot to lot so keep a powder scale handy. It patterens well and I have been pleased with it, especially the price.

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Promo is a blend of powders that didn't make the burning rate they were designed for. Alliant takes those powders and blends them to give the same burning rate as Red Dot, but they can't guaranty the same weight. Depending on what is blended from one batch(fast or slow) to another will tell how dirty and heavy it will be. It was a win/win for the shooters and the company. The shooters get a powder that is reasonably priced and the company has a product it can sell.

Ajax

9. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

I have loaded with promo. My experience with it is its does not work well in the cold weather, bloopers. Two of my friends tried it with the same problem. I now have been using 17.5 grains of clay dot, reasonably priced, last jug was $91.00 some of the first jugs I bought was as low as $86.00 but has gone up a little, also use american select and 700X but 700x has gone up considerably. Hope this helps alex K

10. maka

maka Member

Just checked on Recob's site. Promo up to $95/8lbs. Clay Dot uo to $105/8lbs.

11. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Go with the promo and don't look back! I do 16 grains in 1 oz and 17.9 in 1 1/8. About 2 months ago sportsman den in shelby ohio had it for $73.00 8 pounds plus tax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.