1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PROMO INFO

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by j2jake, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Been shooting Promo for sometime now. The last two kegs have been terrible as far as getting consistant weight drops. Have tried all the little tricks, grounding loader, checked drop tube ect. with no change. Am I the only one or is this normal for the new stuff. Have been told to change to Clays for better drops and cleaner burning. Jake

2. qshot

qshot TS Member

I have been shooting promo for sometime now have only had to change powder bushing once to get new batch to the right weight. It is not as clean burnung as clays but it does not cost near as much either.

I guess if you whant to never have to change bushings you might want to change powders, but if you can put up with promo being a little bit dirty it is a real good powder for light loads. I know i am not going to change.

Charlie

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

PROMO, A mythical powder only known to exsist to the older shooters and where they have not heard of anything else......No really guys shy of mail order from 1500 miles away wish PROMO was found locally. but you know the way things work around here. It would probably be the same price as Clays or red dot???? Measure your drops each bottle fill and a few through out. AND batch to batch. I learned this day one when taught how to reload

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Nary a problem with my 800 Plus and Hydro AND Spolar.

Whiz

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

You might try mixing the powder up before you pour it out of the 8# container. Heavy particles settle; light particles migrate to the top. It is a good idea with any powder, but perhaps more so for a blend of powders such as PROMO.

6. perga1

perga1 Active Member

7th keg and no problems.

7. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

The amount it varies probably doesn't make any real difference.

I am on my second 8 pounds and drops vary anywhere from +2/10 to -2/10's max deviation.

I don't mind and it don't matter.

tom

8. nipper

nipper TS Member

im looking foward to see the results, im loading some 3/4 and 7/8 loads myself for 12 guage.

bill

9. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

18.2 for everything, I don't get any greater variation with Promo, 8 kegs so far, than with any other powder I have used. Using a 9000G with an adjustable and no baffle, try to keep the bottle about half full. I really think that other factors affect pressure and velocity quicker than a 10th or two of powder drop variation. Just hand weigh powder charges for 25 or so shells and chrono em then tell me that a few tenths of a grain of powder is a big deal. I can't get any better consistancy that way over just running em through the machine. And the targets seem to not care whether my shot charge hits em at 825 or 850 fps. Good 45 ACP powder too, 4.2 or a little more, right around 820. I say don't use Promo, just can't take the chance of driving the price up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.