1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo for 7/8th ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine suggested the Alliant powder Promo for a 7/8th ounce 12 ga. load. I'll be using the old style Winchester AA hull, winchester 209 primers,Claybuster wad.

I have an Alliant reloading powder manual, but Promo isn't even listed !

Since I purchased an 8# keg ( the trap club said it doesn't come in 4# ) I hope I didn't purchase a powder I can't use for the 7/8th load.

Can anyone help with the proper grains ?

Thanks in advance.

Noel Kendall

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I had the same delima a while back until the wonderful posters let me know that data for Red Dot is the same. You'll have to weigh your powder charges as Promo is a little denser than Red Dot so you'll have to use a smaller powder bushing.

You'll really like the powder as it works very well.

ss

3. twopipe

twopipe Member

look on the website, Promo is there, about 18 grains works.

4. jhunts

jhunts Active Member

Promo is a fine powder. Promo is formulated to match Red Dot burning rates and red dot data can be used. You will need to weigh the charges you are droping to ensure it is the same weight as the red dot data. It will not use the same bushing as red dot.

Go to the Alliant Website for up to date info. They do have specific loading data for Promo.

Good luck

5. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

18.5 grs works for me through a 391 beretta. Should run right at 1225-1250fps form my chrono test.

6. perga1

perga1 Active Member

STS hull,Federal 12SO or clone, Rio primer, 18.5 grs. of promo chronoed @ 1300fps. JRM

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My long time experimenting with weenie loads suggests the fast burning powders are the best choice for consistency. Promo should work quite well......Bob Dodd

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I have been using 16.5 grains of Promo in a 1 ounce load and it chronos at 1140. I recently upped it to 17.2 but haven't run it through the chrono yet. I am guessing 1235 to 1250.

9. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Dodd,

"Weenie loads"??

"If you can break a bunker target with them why can't you break a trap target with them?"

Go fish!!

BrownK80

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I will guaranty I will smash as many targets with my 7/8 oz. loads as Mr weenie will with any big sausage load he uses. Between me and you I cant tell any difference between my 7/8 and 1 oz. loads other than slightly less used shot and noticeable less recoil.

11. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Unfortunately , I grew up on fast loads ; consequently , I can't get comfortable with loads associated with light PROMO powder charges . That's my loss .

I put about 19.5 gr under a DR wad and 7/8 oz of 7 1/2s or 8s . At most SC presentations , the results are amazing .

Charlie

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Brown - mine are weenies, not typical of bunker loads.....BD

13. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

goose2...You owe Mr. Dodd an apology for your comment and name calling. BDodd has been a pioneer in light loads. He's great TS.com contributor and is due some respect. That man has done much for this sport, and I feel you should pay attention rather than flapping your gums.

Brownk80...ATA has rules on max speed of each weight of shot. Bunker has different speed rules. That's like comparing apples to oranges.

Thanks David Icenhower

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Thanks for the comments, David, but I really am unsure Gooosy meant any insult to me; didn't take it that way. I do think he might have reversed Brown's and mine in his comment. I assure Mr. Goose that I evidently load my weenies for the same reason he does; less recoil and a penny saved as well. I, too, have considerable success with the light loads, with 9s, in skeet, 16 yard trap, 1st shot of doubs, and close in sporting shots. I've converted a full time, sporting enthusiast to weenies with 8s, a load that he uses for 90% of his A class sporting addiction - calls them his "magic load." If I had a bunker near enough, I'd probably use my sporting buddy's specialty......Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.