1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo for 20 ga. ?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mholting, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mholting

mholting TS Member

Question? can you use Promo to load 20 GA 7/8 oz. thanks Manny

2. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Manny---I don't think so---Go to Unique---Promo is like Red Dot---Too hot in my opinion----SJB

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Go to the powder co. not opinions from here. Jeff

4. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

No Promo in 20 gauge...way to fast. 20/28, Unique or Universal Clays.

Larry

5. chemist

chemist Member

I use 20-28 and like it for 7/8 sporting clays load. I could not get it the last time and bought a winchester powder that works well but it is so fine it comes thru my old versa mec loading bar and gets all over the place. Going back to 20/28 as soon as supplier gets it in

Chemist

6. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

That old data is not safe with the current versions of the powders and the components used today. I would not even try a load from the Lymans books older than the current (5th) edition. Get your recipes from the powder manufacturer's websites and be safe!

7. Gramps

Gramps Member

Yes you can. However, it has to be a 3/4 oz load and you can only use 11.6 grains of Promo: velocity is 1206. It is not recommended for use in 20 gauge tubes. I've been shooting this load for over a year in my 525 Browning, IT IS GREAT.

Google the 20 gauge using Promo and it will take you to the thread about this load.

8. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

This came from Shotgun World, and although it is NOT for 7/8 loads, it does suggest some uses for PROMO in 20 ga. I am not the author, nor have I tried these. Use at your own risk.
    QUOTE:
    20 GAUGE PROMO LITE

This is the most recent version of an unpublished light 20 gauge Promo recipe cooked up by some of us here on SGW. It's been revised to reflect more recent data and some necessary warnings. I've hunted down and updated a number of them, but earlier versions of this recipe may remain elsewhere on this board.

This is the only recipe to use. The various warnings must be observed and the lower shot and powder charges should be seriously considered.

This load has been tested on industrial-grade equipment in a commercial laboratory.

The recipe includes the alternative powders Unique and Universal, either of which will produce an equally excellent load.

The only reason for the Promo version of this recipe is to have the ability to use a single, economical powder for both 12 and 20 gauge.

As stated, this is an unpublished wildcat recipe and you're on your own on this one. If you have even the slightest reservations about the Promo version -- THEN DON'T USE IT.

Just use either Unique or Universal.

IMPORTANT: While it isn't a bad idea to reweigh bushing drops from new lots of any powder, it's absolutely necessary when using Promo, which is known to vary from lot to lot. Promo has the same burn rate as Red Dot and can be substituted grain for grain, but the two powders meter differently through a bushing.

HULL: AA-HS or any Remington
    SHOT WEIGHT: 11/16 (best) or 3/4 oz. (maximum) (Actual averages dropped by stock MEC charge bars: 11/16 oz. - 300 gr.; 3/4 oz. - 315 gr.)
    SHOT SIZE: No. 8-1/2 or 9 (Larger shot will reduce pellet count and performance severely.)
    POWDER: 12.4 gr. Alliant Promo -- ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM! (or 15.3 gr. Unique (No. 24 bushing) or Universal. You'd have to determine which MEC bushing drops that for Universal.)
    MEC POWDER BUSHING FOR PROMO: No. 21
    PRIMER: Fiocchi 616 (209), W209, STS209, Nobel Sport or PMC. (DO NOT USE the hotter Fed209A or Rio.)
    WAD: Current "new" WAA20 (The older WAA20 wad and others are too short to crimp well and so far no clones are available for the newer WAA20.)

Average Velocity: 1209 fps.
    Pressure: About 11,500 psi average for 3/4 oz. payload using Promo and W209 primer (Tested). Less than 11,000 psi using Unique.

NOTES: This load burns cleaner than any I've ever used in any shotgun, no matter what gauge/bore. It may or may not cycle semiautos.

WARNING: USING PROMO, DO NOT EXCEED THE LISTED POWDER CHARGE OR 3/4 OZ. OF SHOT IN THIS LOAD. Heavier payloads with this fast powder could raise pressures excessively. The 11/16 oz. payload is very effective, will produce lower pressure and is highly recommended. Use of 11.6 gr. of Promo from a MEC No. 20 bushing will also produce excellent results with lower pressure and negligibly lower velocity -- average 1156 fps. Just bear in mind that this is a wildcat recipe offering no latitude in components.

If you adhere to the recipe and observe those few caveats, you'll have a safe, clean-burning, ballistically efficient load that allows you to use the excellent, low-cost Promo for both 12 and 20 gauge.

If this recipe is to be shot in tubes, I highly recommend using the lower powder charge of 11.6 gr. from a MEC No. 20 bushing.

That, and 11/16 oz. of shot, is what I use.

By "tubes" I'm not talking about chokes or even necessarily the various gauge-reducing inserts, but rather full-length subgauge tubes such as Brileys or Kolars, the metal thickness of whose 20 gauge chambers is exceptionally thin.
    END QUOTE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

promo 20 ga load data