1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo, Cheddite, Claybuster & Top Gun Recipe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by docbombay, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

First, I know about the paper base wad in the Top Guns. These will be a "one and done" load. I am curious if anyone has been loading a combination of Promo, Cheddite primers, Claybuster CB2100 and CB2118 in Federal Top Gun hulls?

If so, what amount of Promo have you zeroed in on that gives good results?

Thanks for any and all replies,

Doc

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

17.2 grains of Promo seems to load and shoot fine with that combo.

Kiv

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I use Promo in a similar load with those wads. I use the Federal 209A primers though. For 1 oz, I use 18.0 to 18.4 grains. That will go around 1200 fps. For 1 1/8 oz, I use 18.5 - 18.8 grains of Promo for around 1200 fps or a tad under. I don't know how the Cheddite Primer would affect the load. There are some caveats with these hulls. You need to be absolutely sure that the basewads never got wet. That means you need to inspect each hull inside with a good light to see if it has a swollen basewad. The hulls are also not much good for more than two loadings. I use the Federal primer for the first loading and then use an oversized primer like the Rio G600 for the second and then crush them. The reason for that is after a firing or two, there is usually some gas leakage around the primer. The larger primer for the LAST loading helps to seal it better, so there is less risk of gas leakage. Also the tube may pull loose from the base. I've seen it a few times and only with larger amounts of slower powders like Unique or Universal Clays. The tubes don't get stuck and it's a minor inconvenience to pull the tube from the chamber. Like I said, it was only two times out of well over 25 Thousand loaded and only using the slower powders.

These loads will function every standard auto that I have tried them in.

The data I used was from an older Alliant manual. It listed much higher vellocity loads using Red Dot and the pressures were well within reason. Loading a few grains under the top listed loads should give a little headroom for error.

Generally, Alliant has previously stated that you could use data for the Gold Medal hulls, provided the pressures were within reason. I don't select loads much over 10,000 PSI for normal use anyway and there are a LOT to choose from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cheddite primer recipes