1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo--anyone checked the fps on these loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I'm up to trying out a 19.5grn load behind a one ounce jammer xl-1 wad. Been loading up to this by starting out at 18grns. Not too concerned with 'blowing' up the shot pattern some. Just trying to get to the target as fast as I can. Jim

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It would be more helpful to know the rest of the load details. Hull? Primer? I would also suggest checking the data posted on the manufacturer's site. That load might be at or above the max, depending on what the rest of the story (LOAD) is.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jim- Please consider your thoughts on "getting to the target as quickly as possible". With a calculator, and ignoring the deceleration of the shot, figure out the time difference for shot traveling a 1150, 1200 and 1250 ft/sec to travel the 90 feet before it breaks the target. With a bit more research, you can see that the faster shot decelerate faster than the shot moving slower.

Rather than getting to the target as fast as possible, I would suggest considering such things as pattern effectiveness and recoil are much more important than time to the target.

Pat Ireland

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Fastest Promo 1 oz load with a Jammer is 20.5 grains with a Rem209 primer.

Get you up to 1310fps. 10k plus is the pressure.

5. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Pat, how is it that you determine your figures? As the other poster pointed out the max is 20.5 on the Alliant site. I saw that too. Please provide more info. Jim

6. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

17.5 gr Promo, an XL-1 in an STS hull with 1 oz of 8.5 makes a helluva nice pattern with very little recoil.

I see no reason to load it any faster.

Turns the first bird of doubles into a black cloud of dust....

SW

7. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Stone, why not load down to 7/8's. It'll still smoke 'um at 16. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.