1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promo and 1-1/8oz Q.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Promo powder, Windjammer or Blue Duster wad, RIO primer, STS hull.

I just can't get 18grains with my MEC 9000. I can go to 18.4 with a #33 bushing or I get 17.6 with a #32 bushing (average).

I chose the 32 bushing becuase of the RIO primer.

Shooting the 17.6 seems good and breaks are good.

Any thoughts on which you would have chosen? Just a bit concerned going over 18 grains with the RIO primer. I am worried about excessive pressure.

Thanks

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Get a Universal Charge bar, or take a file to the #32 bushing, or "paint" the 33 bushing with nail polish (removeable with acetone) to get what you want.

I believe you are near max at 18.4 gr.

Call Alliant and they will steer you right.

Don

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Big Al..... I shoot STS hulls, Fiocchi primers, 18.5gr. Promo powder with Windjammer 11/8oz. wads. This load performs extremely well. The Windjammer wads produce less pressure than the Blue Dusters do, so there is a difference. I only use the Blue Dusters with 11/8oz. shot and 16.5gr. Promo for singles and first shot on doubles and they work great. If you are going to use the Windjammer wads, go with the 33 bushing...... Just my experience......Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Big Al 29

Those RIO primers are HOT! I'd make a call to Alliant and see what they recommend. Look at the data from RIO at the link above. There is no data for Promo, and only one load using Red Dot. It shows a one ounce load at 17.5 grains developing over 10K PSI. If 17.6 grains works well, I'd stay there or below. The Windjammer Wad will usually develop less pressure, so it might be a good choice for a little added safety buffer. You could always send a few of your loads out to have them pressure tested. It would certainly be worth the peace of mind to know for sure.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I believe nearly , if not all, of my PW bushings have been altered with a round file and/or fingernail polish. I want to make my bushings drop the powder charge I want. I do not want the bushings to select the powder charge they drop.

Pat Ireland

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I also alter the bushings on my Ponsness. I use my Dremel and ream out the bushing and keep weighing the charges until I get what I want. (Shot and powder). I have 2 main bushings for the shot charge. One loads a 1 ounce load (for 16 yard, sporting clays, etc) and the other loads a 1 1/16 ounce load for handicap. That's why I like to reload; I can produce the load that I want. Ed

7. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Win AA (HS) - 17.4 Promo - RIO - WJII - 1 oz. # 8 1/2 Velocity 1253 ergo I would be really careful about going to heavy on the powder. Lower better. RG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.