1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promatic Trap as good as PAT?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GASmoke, Jun 23, 2013.

1. GASmoke

GASmoke TS Member

Gun club is looking to buy a new trap? All experienced trapshooters say go with a PAT. Promatic dealer has some board member (sporting clays shooters) thinking the club should buy a promatic to put in our trap house. Anybody know of a trap club throwing trap with Promatic? What are the advantages of PAT over Promatic in regards to trap machines?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Leave the Promatics on the Sporting Course, put the Pat in the Trap House. Politely tell the Sporting Clays shooter to stay on his course and out of your trap house.

Trust me on this. The Motor Driven Release Promatic gives slow pulls on the trap field. The Solenoid Release model takes a lot of LOVE to keep throwing good targets. Few folks know how to set the Solenoid Release model.

You will get more opinions coming. I worked on both brands extensively until health issues took me in another direction.

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

I call Promatics "Problematics". Go with the Pat. They are he standard ATA machine.

T

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

5. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Sporties would have you shooting in safari jackets too. Get a PAT.

7. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Get a Wobble Pat, lots of fun!!

8. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

We put in a promatic ata trap. It has been a good trap. Not problem free but which one are. The reason we chose it over a pat trap was the price. When we bought ours it was half price of a pat trap.

9. newbbs

newbbs Member

Bought a Promatic because of price and the the success of their sporting machines. Big mistake! It never was anything but a boat anchor. The service rep made several trips and many upgrades, even sent it back once for repairs. Had the machine for about three years of constant problems and finally replaced it with a Pat.

Newb

10. Bob M

Bob M Member

Note: I have never shot off of a Promatic trap. I saw one in passing at the Pa State shoot.

No. Get a Pat. We put in a La Porte back in the day for the same reason, $$$. When we finally realized the mistake, we took a bath on the used trap. When something is half the price, there is a reason.

11. B-23-C

B-23-C Member

Our club uses Promatic traps for sporting clays. They are the industry standard, work great with very few problems.

We have Pat Traps on our trap fields. They are the industry standard for trap shooting. We have very few problems with them,they are easy to set and work on, and throw good consistent targets.

A neighboring club has Promatic traps in their trap houses. They throw terrible targets. Angles are inconsistent and slow release.

This is my limited experience, but I would go with Promatics for sporting, and Pats for trap.

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Pat Trap Vs Promatic I put them on equal footing

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. dls guide

dls guide Member

Very easy! Promatic for Sporting clays and Pat for trap. No exceptions.

14. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

Second that dls guide, Promatic for SC/ Pat for trap. Hands down!

Regards, Joe

15. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

16. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

A year and a half ago, our club had a demo Promatic trap and a demo Pat trap. we were allowed to use these two demo machines for a little over a month. Between January and may of last year we bought five brand new wobble Pat traps. We wanted all of the machines in our houses to be the same make and model. Our thinking would be that it would make any maintenance easier. We spent the exra money for the wobble version because we do have a winter wobble league. Since we bought our new Pat traps we have had two problems. One was a hose fitting that came off after we had used the machine for about three months. the fitting had not been tightened at the factory. No big deal tightened the fitting and put in a little more oil and we were good. The other problem was that one of the angles on the carosel somehow had gotten bent slightly and the targets would hang up in it and then drop breaking several targets. This we are not sure but think happened after whad the machine as it did not do this at first. I have nothing but good to say about the Pat Trap machines.

Jim Bradbury

Search tags for this page

demo promatic traps

la porte sporting clay release buttons

promatic problems with clays breaking

promatic traps of texas