1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promatic throwers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Skippyd, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skippyd

Skippyd Member

Hello
    The club I shoot at is looking at buying a Promatic machine that will do doubles and wobble trap.Just wondering how they rate and hold up.We currently have GMV's and normaly throw April to October so no extreme weather issues
    thanks in advance
    Darrell

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

PAT traps will do doubles and wobble too.

I think most clubs use PATs. There must be a reason.

3. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I have a promatic single wooble trap 8 years old with no break downs or repairs.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

I really like the design of the Promatic but have never shot over one.

Our Pat traps constantly need "tweaking" and are not easy to trouble shoot. They may be "The Standard" but they are a PITA.

It will be interesting to see the feedback on this thread.

Don Verna

PS: We throw about 50,000-150,000 targets per year per machine. All our PAT's are the older series.

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Superstars may be the greatest but parts availability might be a problem in the near future!!

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I shoot on occasion at a club that has the Promatic wobble for regular trap or wobble, no doubles. It has been a good rugged machine for them. I have heard of but not familiar with GP ?? traps. I think they are from Kansas or that region. Ask around. Good luck with your choice. Bob

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

They both have yeas and nays. The Pat throws a target with less spin and more "face", something new and old shooters want. But less spin makes the target more susceptible to wind.

Actually, they ARE easy to diagnose, but do need tweaking to make up for weather and temperature changes. They throw a lot of targets if properly serviced.

The Promatic throws a great target with a lot of spin. This makes the target less susceptible to windy days. Less face may be shown, so some folks do not like this.

The Promatic is easy to diagnose and repair. However, with a splitter, that separates painted together and wet/frozen targets, target changes requires minor adjustments for proper operation. They throw a lot of targets with proper maintenance.

Since the Promatic works off a 12 volt converter, in case of a power outage, a car battery can be pressed into service, and along with a pull cord, you can still throw targets. This has saved a shoot in North Tenn.

There are differences in price.

If you have a fairly large club and hold a large shoot, with notice, a Promatic tech can often come to the club and help out with the shoot.

I have never SEEN a Pat factory tech outside the Grand.

I prefer to service the Promatic, and to shoot off them. I will also service and shoot off a Pat, but I have my preferences.

YMMV

8. josh b

josh b TS Member

Our little club has 2 of the singles promatic traps and I like them, easy to set and very little maintnance.

9. letzc1

letzc1 TS Member

I am going to express my opinion here, based on my experiences so take it for what it's worth.

I know that Pats are common at Trap clubs but I am starting to wonder why. They are such a complex mix of hydraulics, electrics and mechanics. We have 5 Pats at my club and no 2 are alike. They do require constant maintenance and that is with constant maintenance. I have a dickens of a time getting each to throw decent targets repeatedly. We are trying to get a Promatic machine for evaluation. There must be an easier way to throw consistantly good targets than what we are doing. I don't mean to offend all you pat trap fans but personally I am not convinced this is the best the industry can do.

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

A realitive new club that I belong to had Promatics installed. They have gotten rid of them and replaced with Pat traps. I never did see a decent pair of doubles thrown from these traps. A person from promatic came out and tried to help set them, but problems still existed.

Phil Kiner held a clinic at the club. You might want to ask him what he thinks of Promatics.

I'm just saying here. I would seriously do some extensive checking before purchasing. Obviously some people have had good luck with them; This club didn't.

JMO

Steve

11. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

We have four of them at my club, two doubles and two singles machines. They are about 4 years old and have been virtually trouble free. Once properly adjusted they throw a very good target and require very little in the way of maintenance and periodic adjustments. We have two older pats also and most of the shooters prefer to shoot over the promatics.

AAtrap I would be curious how old the traps you mentioned are. There's been a couple recent upgrades the make the doubles a lot easier to set.

Jim

12. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

I own a promatic wobble trap and have had zero trouble with it. I have used it two years in a row now for a friends business "shoot" with over 250 attendees standing in line to shoot their 20 targets and we did it all day on one battery for each motor so two are needed. It has sat out in the Wisconsin winters covered but untended in any other way and we just trudge our way out to it and put batteries on it and off it goes. Promatics are like any other battery operated non-hydraulic trap. They need some additional tweaking and each seems unique to a point but they are easy to figure out and once tweaked they stay tweaked in my opinion. Just finished buying a chondelle/teal/rabbit machine from them for our course and looking forward to shooting rather than diagnosing.

13. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

The new style Promatics are as good as you will find and are extremely durable and troublefree. If they need service it is very easy to get whether in person or over the phone.

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

ProMatics are made in Missouri, just south of St. Joseph. Outstanding service, built to last, and reasonably priced. Most have found Pat Traps to be overpriced
    tempremental, and poor service. Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
diagnosing problems on promatic trap machines
do you need to cover a promatic skeet thrower
promatic rabbit throwers

promatic trap throwers

promatic versus atlas