1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Promatic gearbox question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bob Butler, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Butler

Bob Butler Active Member

Aug 30, 2012
    I am running an SCTP program at my club and received a generous donation of a used Promatic Ranger wobble trap for the kids to shoot with.
    The machine needs a few repairs and I am looking for experience with the main spring cocking gearbox. The one on the machine has a stripped nylon main gear. This is the riveted case housing.
    Promatic has a new upgraded gearbox, but the old motor will not interface with it, so a motor and gear are needed.
    Seems like the gear might be available?
    Any thoughts?

The rest of the repairs are mostly cleaning and re lubing of the joints that rotate. Will drill for zerk fittings as well.
    Both the wobble and rotation motors are working and the gearboxes for them seem fine.
    Next test will be the interrupter board and relays.

Thanks for the help on this.
  2. bbkvette1966

bbkvette1966 TS Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Call promatic directly and speak with their tech service dept.. They are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. You are probably going to have to replace that box for parts are extremely difficult to find and will probably result in ongoing problems...
  3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2006
    S-E PA
    Not sure where you are located, but here is an idea.

Check out area high schools to see if they are involved in FIRST Robotics. This is a program aimed at H. S. students to enter the field of engineering. Many of these programs have access to CNC machinery and the type challenge you are dealing with is often what they like to do as a learning experience. Plastics and polycarbonates are a preferred medium for many.

The competition goes full scale just after the new year, so now is a good time to try in that they are 'ramping up.'

I suspect they could duplicate the original gear for you...

If you are near greater Philadelphia drop me a PM and I might be able to point you in the right direction.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

promatic gearbox