1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

promactic traps

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rrel, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrel

rrel TS Member

Any info on how good or bad these traps are . And does any club run them now ? I know they are of choice for sporting clay ranges but i am talking about ATA machines. Thanks

2. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

We have them they are getting a lot of targets on them but till going strong. They are very dependable and easy to work on. They go down very little and the cost is right. Do not hold as many targets as the 8,000.00 machines but are good dependable machines that does not take a PHD in rocket sicence to work on.

Rock

Jim

3. webley

webley TS Member

rrel,
    If you do a search of the forum you'll find a recent thread covering the subject.

regards
    Russell

4. rrel

rrel TS Member

what thread was that on and when thanks

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

We have 4 of them in use for about 3 years. They are a very good reliable machine and very easy to maintain, No hydraulics and no rubber bands, Very consistant speeds. In fact we haven't had to adjust the speed on the singles machines in over a year.

Jim

6. webley

webley TS Member

rrel,

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=125156

The above is via the search utility on this site - which is always worth a try.

Regards
    Russell

7. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

Vary reliable, just turn it on and go to shooting. Pro-Matic Usually has demo machines that can be bought at a discount. mine is 5 years old and never a break down.

8. GRR

GRR TS Member

There is a club that just bought two new Pro-matics, one single and one double. The club had the factory rep. install both traps. I'll start with the singles trap first...... It throws the most inconsistent targets possible, in fact far worse than the old warn out Winchesters they replaced. The spin of the target is so slow any wind at all effects the target. The angles in both directions are out of bounds, and throws 8-10% broken targets. Then the electronics for the voice release are not adjustable for accurate releases, many slow releases.

The doubles trap is somewhat better for singles but just the worst pair of doubles possible. The change over time is unbelievable, plus a case of targets to get them close.

The cost of these traps was more than a Pat. They may be fine for sporting clays when accuracy dosen't count. If you plan on buying new traps......get a Pat. There must be a reason almost all ATA clubs use Pat traps.

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

GRR,

What club is that? Are you a member? Are you the RangeMaster or in charge of setting up the machines? Which voice release are they using?

10. webley

webley TS Member

GRR,
    Your comments are interesting.

I’m not in the business of defending Promatic’s reputation & any club would be very unhappy with the problems you describe - but some of the issues you mention must surely be down to bad setting up (even if done by a “factory rep”). Has the club asked the rep to come back & have a look at the problems?

You mentioned that the wide angle targets were out of bounds - I assume Promatic must produce ‘singles’ traps which throw the narrower angle ATA targets as opposed to the slightly wider angles used in the UK – or is it just a matter of adjustment (again back to setting up?).

A club close to home has just had a Universal Trench (UT) layout installed by Promatic (UT is like a 5 trap version of Olympic Trap). The clays fly as they should & the electric release system is very good being sensitive enough without being over sensitive – supposedly it won’t react to the sound of a gun closing either (frequency insensitive?). A good proportion of trap layouts in the UK use Promatics to throw consistent targets - probably an even higher proportion of the OT & UT layouts over here use Promatics. We've never noticed any problems relating to 'spin'.

Regards
    Russell

11. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

The Promatic ATA 275 has angle settings. The rep should have adjusted it before he left, but it is easy to do. My machine so far has been flawless. Call the rep and ask him to make it right. Promatic is service oriented in our area.

12. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I don't understand all the broken targets. We threw over 8000 targets this past weekend and had maybe 5 broken targets. I would give the rep a call as it sounds like the knives need adjusting.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.