1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Project pictures-Coined or Case colored?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gabe, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabe

Gabe Member

Just got this back from the engraver. Very reasonable price. Right at $450. It's a Model 32 Krieghoff I've been working on for a while now. Just thought I'd get an opinion or two. Do you all think this would look better coin finished or case colored. I'm kinda leaning to the coin finish myself, but I sure like case coloring too. Anyone have any recommendations on who does a good coin finish? I've already got someone to do the case coloring if that's the way I go. I'm going to put on a nicely figured English walnut stock and forend. Your thought's would be appreciated. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gabe

Gabe Member

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Nitride, Jeff

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There are two kinds of color casing. Chemical and heat treated.<br>
    <br>
    In my opinion, chemical color casing looks cheap, and it doesn't last. If not done right, it also looks like someone slathered it on with a brush.<br>
    <br>
    Heat treated color casing is done by packing the part with bone meal and other substances, then heating the whole thing up in a furnace. The problem with this process is that it can cause cracking and warpage. The person doing it must be an expert. Done right, it looks great with engraving. If anyone doubts this, they should look at early examples of color cased and engraved Winchester rifles and shotguns from the 1880 to 1900 period.<br>
    <br>
    I've never been a fan of some of the coining. I'm referring to where it is so thin it's simply a wash.<br>
    <br>
    Nickle plating is nice, but keep in mind nickle can peel, especially at wear points, and it does not tolerate certain chemicals. Hoppes, for example, can cause problems with nickel if not completely removed when done. Nicjel has a nice, warm tone to it, but it scratches more easily than you'd think.<br>
    <br>
    Chrome plating is nice, and is similar to nickel, except it has a cooler tint to it. Nickel has a warm tint. Chrome is especially nice on finely bead blasted metal. Makes a great matte surface.<br>
    <br>
    And then there is good old fashioned rust blueing. Costs more than hot blueing, but the result is a true deep dark blue finish. Almost black, like cobalt blue. Properly done, it will last for many years, while thin hot blueing will start to wear almost immediately. If you are not familiar with rust blueing, it is literally that. It is a rusting process. The chemicals involved put a thin layer of rust on the metal, which is then carded off (meaning a very fine wire brush is used to clean up the metalwork). The process is then repeated for as many times as needed for a deep blue finish. It literally takes weeks for a proper rust blue finish to be applied, but it is damn well worth it. (It can also be done at home, if you have the patience and chemical formulas.)

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

nitrided

who did the engraving?

regards from Iowa again

Gene

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I'd go with satin chrome. Extremely durable!

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I can't see any point in paying for that engraving and then camoflauge it with case coloring.

8. Bridger

Bridger Member

I would go with silver nitrate or nickel. Case color is nice if done right. But done improperly it is disastrous. I can tell you this from experience. Turnbull is about the only one I would trust to do it right. Nice project. Good luck with it.

9. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I am a huge sucker for color case hardening on traditional SxS's, but on a competition gun I'd vote for silver nitride. I had it on 3 SKB SxS's and on my Grade III Trap Citori and all are super durable.

HBT

10. 100straight

100straight Member

What about something like this?

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

11. Gabe

Gabe Member

Thanks for the replies. A guy by the name of Mike Branham did the engraving(502 538-4629). If I had it Nitrided who would you recommend? By the way Gene, that was your old 32 reciever, if you were wondering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.