1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Project Gun - Holy Moly!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Member

This is my first project gun effort. No, it isn't up to most of the real gun builders' level, but it's mine and I'm happy with the results. That's not to say I won't tear it down next week and try something different. Here's what I did.

Stripped a 1986 anniversary 1100 trap receiver to the white.

Sprayed the outside of the receiver with Brownell's Metal-Epoxy coat. The inner workings are white and coated in oil. I've thought about bluing, but I'm somewhat fond of the clean look of the white steel.

Found a Speer's release trigger that seems to work. It was very clean and when I soaked it in Prolix no dirt came out.

The wood furniture is still on my bench being bleached and sanded. I'm also trying my hand at re-checkering over the pressed factory design. Got that wood at ebay for a song. Looks really good now that I've removed all the scratches, finish, and dents. In the meantime, Richard Colley sold me a great carbon Jack West stock set (arrived here probably before Richard received my check). Now that I have it set up with the black, I'm thinking the wood pieces will be put on something else.

The barrel is 30 inches, fixed full and ported. It was originally on the first 1100 I owned (thanks Smokin' Joe).

It looks a lot like the new 1100 models with the Jack West stock set. The main differences are age, cost, and my satisfaction at making it.

Sorry about the quality of the pictures. The iPhone does many things well, but isn't the best camera on the planet. Regardless, I think they adequately portray the finished project.

I'm planning to shoot trap with it tonight. If you don't hear from me after today you might suspect I didn't do a perfect job assembling all the parts. Wish me luck?

Larry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. JACK

JACK Active Member

Is "Wow" ok? you had fun and that is what counts. Wow!
  3. WJN

WJN TS Member

Looks very nice to me!

Jim
  4. Barrelbulge(Pa)

Barrelbulge(Pa) Active Member

Nice gun, Mike.
  5. ipscmaster

ipscmaster Member

Looks good to me. How do you like the new stock? I may be interested in one for myself. Also, who did the plating work on the receiver. I really like that.
    Bill
  6. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

As a gunsmith, it looks good from the photos. I'm sure a customer would sign on to a rework like you have done...

One question: Did you have to, or decided to, replace any parts? Springs and a new firing pin might be prudent and use the take-offs as spares. Again, looks good and appears you had a good time reparting this 1100 receiver & barrel group.....
  7. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Larry, that is a "Sharp" looking 1100!!!I have polished a few receivers and i think they look good. It appears you are a man of class so forge ahead on your projects you done good (Texas Talk for GREAT JOB)joe90t
  8. APrice

APrice Active Member

Nice looking shotgun. Can't imagine that you would have to deal with any negative comments.
  9. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Member

Yes, Smokechaser, I used new retractor springs and firing pin and removed/cleaned/replaced the extractor and spring. The buffer looked fine so it stayed. I cleaned the magazine tube and used the same spring and follower (usually one a single shot fired so I didn't take the time to replace the spring. I did not replace the action spring (the current one is a little over 14 inches and looked fine). I also did not swap out the link.

I like the stock a lot, Bill (ipscmaster). Colley is a great guy to buy from and the product seems to be solid. I started out plating the magazine cap with nickel and I didn't like the faint greenish hue. I sanded it off and left everything in the white. I buffed the receiver to a high shine but didn't like that some of the old pit makes seemed to show through (it was like the old pitting has stained the steel). So, I sanded it again and finished with about 400 paper. Then, I coated it with a couple of coats of Brownell's Metal-Epoxy.

Thanks for the nice comments. Yes, it is fun tinkering with that kind of gun. It is all but impossible to screw things up too badly when you use standard parts. The wood stock finishing is going to take longer than I originally thought. I finally got it cleaned and bleached. I plan to try the checkering and then finish with a rubbed finish. Until then, the Jack West makes everything POP.

Larry
  10. Brayburn

Brayburn TS Member

Good for you Larry, it's your satisfaction that counts with you being pleased with your project. Regards from the other side of the big pond Philip.
  11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

Sweet!...I like it! I expect it will work awesome after you get her tuned to your prefs
  12. jbmi

jbmi Active Member

Only one negative comment, it ain't left handed.
  13. dead on 4

dead on 4 Active Member

How could you give a negative comment about something this Cool.....
    Surfer
  14. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Easy. Can’t be used for hunting turkeys.

Frankly, I love it.
  15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Active Member

One badass lookin' trapgun.....if Jack West made a long 870 forend I'd buy a couple sets....
  16. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Active Member

I've got a 30" stepped rib barrel if you want to up-grade it.
  17. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Member

Well, it didn't blow up. In fact, it worked well - just a little sticky on the rings. Will work on that. Shot three squads; 23, 18, 21. Not bad for the first time with a RELEASE trigger. Seemed like the most natural thing in the world.

Thanks for all the kind words above.

Larry
  18. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

A job well done. Nice.
  19. OldGoat

OldGoat Active Member

Larry, Outstanding Job!! I have done two "in the white" 1100 project guns and really appreciate your info re: Brownell's Metal-Epoxy and the Jack West stock. My approach of just using paste wax on the receiver wouldn't be as durable. Now you have me thinking about looking for a neglected 1100 to salvage. Thanks for sharing your completed gun. Best Regards, Ed
  20. fishguts

fishguts Member

Very nice job....which epoxy coat did you use, the semi-gloss or matte?

Thanks

Wayne
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.