1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Progressive Reloading Press Recomendations Rifle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by newcastle, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newcastle

newcastle Member

Hi any recommendations for the type of reloading press to buy for 223, 308 caliber. thanks

2. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

First Choice - Dillon Second Choice - Dillon
    Buy what you can afford. The Square Deal is a good inexpensive choice and they go up from there. I have an old 550 and dies for seven calibers. this one is bad out of date as I have had it for about fifteen years. Anybody will tell you that Dillon is the best customer relations people there are. I agree.
    Give them a call and you will see. You will not be handed off, the person you first talk to will cover everything you need. Tell them what you want and they will tell you what will best serve your need. Straight talk - NO BS
    From a very satisfied customer - Jim

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I'll second what Jim said, for reasonable ammo accuracy and production it is hard to beat Dillon. If you are looking for benchrest precision then you need to get a little more refined. Check http://www.forsterproducts.com/ if this is the case.

Robert

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have had a Dillon 550 hor close to 20 years...I load everything from a .39spl to a 7mm Rem Mag on it.

Ditto on what Jim Portewr said about service. If you manage to break something on it, they send you a free part, even though it was your fault!

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have used my Dillon 550s for .223, .22.250. .308, and .30-06 rifle cartridges. I usually process my brass before it hits the Dillon press, so it's deprimed, cleaned, resized, and trimmed. I use the Dillon to assemble it. The reason I recommend the 550, is that the changeovers or less expensive and take very little time to do. It's slower than the more expensive production machines, but I can turn out a lot of ammo in a short time. I use them for pistol calibers also. Their carbide rifle dies and .357 Sig still require case lube. Their straight wall carbide dies usually do not. Their rifle dies (.223 and .308) are intended for Autos, so they do resize the brass to smaller dimensions. You can use a different manufacturer's die set if you don't require the small base resizers. Dillon will be happy to guide you there, since they offer some alternatives.

The reliability is amazing, since I've had several presses for almost two decades without any failures or repairs, besides regular maintenance. Dillon has great customer service. They upgraded two older presses for almost nothing, about ten years ago when I placed an order for a new one. The biggest cost was shipping.

6. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Dillon, hands down!! They wrote the book on orogressive metallic reloading and the others are still trying to figure out how to catch up. American made and lifetime no BS warranty. Lifetime of the press, not the owner! You sell it, it's still covered. Can the others make that claim?

Jeff

7. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Newcastle,

Ditto the Dillon. I've owned a 550B since '92. Load eleven different calibers w/o muss or fuss. I've broken some things over the years and the No BS Warranty really works. Only because of the advice from this forum did I decide on a PW 800+ recently as I was really impressed with the Dillon product in metallic.

HBT

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Another vote for Dillon. Don't waste your time on any other brand.

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Looks like an echo here but, were I to get back into rifle, it would be the Dillon 550B that I used for some 15 years in the other century. The Square Deal is hand gun ammo only and special dies unusable elsewhere. The 550B is a progressive tool, standard dies, you control when to turn the shell plate, and you feed shells and bullets by hand - no relying on automatic features. Interchangeably die heads for quick switching to another caliber or priced to own two 550B loaders. When I bought mine I told Dillon that I was going to be loading match ammo on a single die machine and they tried their darndest to convince me that I could do as well or better on the 550B and history proved them dead on. No B.S. guarantee for life of the machine, no wiggle words, great support, best choice of all.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Steve, LOL you're right!! I know that this thread sold me. I've always used the rockchucker, but I will now get a Dillon. I wonder which model?? LOL, Shoot well and often, Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.