1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Progressive Reloader needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I'm going to start reloading again. In the distant past I had and loved a PW 800. I also had many friends that used a MEC 650 with good results. Being as tight as I am I am looking for the best value in a good used 12 ga reloader. I want something that will kick out a completed shell with every pull of the handle. I would appreciate recommendations but please give reasons why you like a particular brand/model.

Thanks, Marc

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I guess mine won't work. I do not have to crank a handle, just push the button and with every cycle of the loader it magically produces a loaded shell.
    All jokes aside I have P/W 800+ complete with auto drive and case feeder. It will flat load the shells. In my eyes it's as good as it gets. You will here a lot of different reasons why they are all the best but the main reason I went with the P/W is because of the auto case feeder and the auto drive. All I do is add the wad and it's a done deal. There are 4 people that shoot in my family and I cant imagine pulling a handle 10,000 times.

3. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I'm in your boat! PW 800+ is leading the pack. Waiting to see what the new loader from PW is in the near future. Plan to buy this new model IF favorable opinions exist on this site and other.

Good luck whatever you do....

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Marc, the two most important questions only you can answer. Am I buying new shells and only shooting them in one gun? and 2 how many shells do I shoot a week or month? A single stage machine will give best results with slower loading but fine if shooting 4-6 boxes a week if you have a hour to load a week. The 650 does not resize well so should be used in a single gun of shells that you fire new, any shells you find will more than likely need to be resized or they could give you problems down the road. The Grabber will resize well and do the same thing as the 650 as you have to manually turn the base plate between the strokes. The 9000 G will move the base plate and kick out the finished shells as you go to save you even more time. As these loaders do more to save time they cost more to buy. Its up to you as to your needs and time and shells needed per week or month. Oh Yeh the 9000 is made in Electric Auto-mate and with Hydro (oil) pump so you don't have to pull the handle. You can go to Gamaliel.com and find the reloaders on their website with pix's and good info for your needs. Best of Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"In the distant past I had and loved a PW 800"

If that is true why would you go to anything else now????? I think an 800+ would be the way to go.

Bob Lawless

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I prefer a 366 over a Mec 650 . Been using the same 366 for 25 years . A box of shells in 3 minutes manually . Good exersize .

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

A used MEC Grabber is the best value for your money. IMHO. JM

8. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I use a 366 and a mec 9oooH. I think price wise a used 366 or mec will do the job, however for the fast and easy I love the 9000H it is fast and trouble free, There was one used listed on this site a few days ago but if you can buy a new one that is the way to go and you will not be sorry.

9. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have a 366 and a 9000.. go with the 9000..

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Many 800B's for sale in the $300 range.

11. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

ivanhoe

I do not necessarily want to go to something other than an 800+. It has been about 35 years since I last reloaded. It appears as though the PW has changed very little during that time. Although I did/do like the PW, my thought was that perhaps something new and improved has appeared over the last quarter century.

My preference is to shoot new ammo, and I do when rebates are in effect. Currently none are available (AA or STS) so I may start reloading again.

I thank all that responded to this post but VERY FEW GAVE A REASON FOR THEIR PREFERENCE. It is easy to research what is available. Harder to determine how good they are or ease of use and durability. Marc

12. maka

maka Member

I have been using a mec graber for the last 15+ years. Have had to replace a couple of miner springs,readily availiable from mec. Resizes and finished shell after each stroke. As Jeff indicate you must manualy turn the table. For the money, this is my suggestion. Good Luck!!!!!

13. AEP

AEP Member

P/W 800+. It is a well built machine. I started with an 800C. I wore it out. Not because I shot so much, but I was a little lazy on lubrication. When I sold it it still would load shells. I then purchased an 800+. That machine is better than the 800C. Loads everything with no problems.

Andy

14. Bill Buffalo

Bill Buffalo Member

I have a PW 800B for sale. $300 plus the lowest shipping I can find. Will throw in lots of extra bushings for shot and powder and some extra little things like wad guides and brushes. Email or PM me if interested. Can send pictures.
    Billy

15. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Answer this before you go buy something. First, how much are you going to shoot? Will the purchase of the reloader be offset by the savings? How long do you plan to shoot and/or reload your shells? I guess some would call it cost analysis. I shoot as often as I possibly can and would probably pay off the reloaded in under a year. I also wanted something that would last for as long as I was shooting. End result was a Spolar for me. Yes it cost more, but I've paid it off with the savings on reloading and now reload at cost. It pumps out shells like a swiss watch with no issues. Hal Hitchcock

16. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I have an older model Grabber that I would sell for $100.00 plus shipping. I bought it from a fellow who had inherited it from his father, but honestly it is too complicated for me to use in front of the TV like my old 600jr. It is missing the detent ball and the tray that catches the primers. Comes with two or three bars and a couple of bushings.

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

There's your answer. ^

18. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I had MEC 9000 Hustler and then the MEC 9000 H ( I may have this mixed up a little, the first machine did not self index and I got the upgrade). I liked both but sold the MEC and got a Spolar. I have used it for about 15 years or so, serial # 072. It still loads great. Every once in a while I have to clean it up but I still like the old girl. Those new MEC Automates are pretty slick. I have not seen the PW+ in action.

Charlie

19. Remingtondon

Remingtondon TS Member

Marc, I have a PW 900 Elite that I keep as a spare for my 950. Press has been back to PW 6 years ago for up grading and has fully remove able staitions and I also have a conversion die for powder to use Mec powder dies. The spare sits here in the shipping box and I'll probably never use it so if you want it you can have it for $400 shipped. Call me if your interested 585-786-5288.
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.