1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Progressive Reloader for Pistols

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 02, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 02

02 TS Member

I am looking into the Lee Pro 1000 or the Dillon Square Deal B. Can someone help me with there opinions on either one?

Thank's
    Paul

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Get the Dillon Square deal, much better and faster loader.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have been looking into this myself, the square deal looks really good for the money. It can only do pistol and has its own dillon only dies. I see Way to many Lee's up for sale. I have decided on the 550b I will be reloading about 1500/2000 rounds per caliper per year. 40sw 9x18 makarov, 223/5.56 and 30-06. most will be seasonal. rifle summers pistol winters. The above web site is very good.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Unless you only load one caliber, spend the extra money and buy the 550B! It will load everything except the .50 BMG!

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Dillon 550 I load with a Dillon XL-650 and love it

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you are graduating from a single stage and have a few die sets then look into the 550 Dillon. If you are starting from scratch, the Square Deal is a great choice. You won't like the Lee so don't waste your money on it.

7. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Dillon 550 is the best way to go
    Sonny

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I like some of LEE'sproducts, but their progressive loader is not one of them. After lots of fiddling with it, I gave it to the brother-in-law that I really do not like and bought a Dillon 550b. I never regreted that purchase. over ten years using it on many calibers I wore out exactly one part, and Dillon sent me the new bushing free. You cnnot beat that.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

hornady LNL progressive press is on intergalatic back order.

10. 50calshooter

50calshooter TS Member

Had a 550 had a square deal in 357 had a Texan auto IV and a friend has a pro 1000 only have a LNL now with case feeder. You will never be sorry.

11. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Dillon 550B or the L-N-L from Hornady. I have both and both are very good presses. The Lee is a PITA. I HAD one, repeat, HAD. Never again.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Not the Lee. Dillon is a good choice, but I'd go for the 550B at the least. The Hornady LNL is OK, but my Dillons have seen a lot of use and the support is top notch. I had to call only two times in all the years I've had them. Both times it was an easy fix and any parts were sent free. I have purchased a bunch of spare parts, so downtime is minimal. We aren't talking a lot of problems, just routine maintenance and user error. Used a friend's LNL and I like it, but I'm not ready to trade in my Dillons for one. The main reason for the 550B is that it's a more versatile press and it will do rifle as well. It's also not that much more than the square deal, if you would end up there eventually anyway.

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

14. DJM

DJM Member

If you are heading north some weekend and want to try out a quare Deal B let me know via PM. I'm set up for either .45 ACP or .357 mag. Don Miller

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have four Dillon's. Two 1050's (38 and 45), a 650 (9mm) and a 550 for everything else. For pistol loading the 650 is the way to go if you cannot afford the 1050.

Auto index is a great feature. The case feeder will significantly increase your output. Also, with the 650 or 1050, you can add a powder check.

Don Verna

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

DILLON!!!!!!!!!!

17. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Dillon 550 B is the way to go. Their guarantee & service is second to none. My experience with RCBS's customer service has been terrible. In previous threads, I have mentioned RCBS stuck us with their GREEN MACHINE,& DID NOTHING
    TO COMPENSATE THE BUYERS. all they(RCBS) did was stop making the Lemon.I don't use their name The Green Machine,as far as ALL the buyers were concerned it was The Lemon Machine. Are you reading this,RCBS? We were stuck.
    Dillon on the other hand, I have had very few problems. The few that I had were taken care of immediately at NO CHARGE.
    Dillon all the way.
    Joe Jordan

18. Jay62

Jay62 TS Member

I started with the LEE. never got it right, and gave it away to someone, got the DILLON.. no looking back. so save the money and start with the Dillon

19. KeepWoodOnWood

KeepWoodOnWood Member

If you're just getting into reloading, make sure you can get supplies especially primers and bullets before you spring for a reloader. Small pistol primers are especially tough to come by.

Ron

20. atashooter

atashooter Member

I have the LEE Loadmaster. It will shuck them as fast as I can yank the lever without a glitch. Now, the bad part... The Loadmaster has one HELL of a learning curve to get her tuned. Once she is tuned, she will rock. There are some great online videos that folks have posted to help you learn the curve. Now for the answer to the question... " If you had known the learning curve was so hard on the Loadmaster, before you bought it... Would you have bought it?" My answer... No. I would have bought a Dillon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1998 xl 650 reloader

brewster indexer star reloader

camdex primer filler