1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Professional Pressure/Velocity Measurement

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeeljc, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Who offers professional measurement of velocity and pressure on reloads?

I seem to remember seeing something on a catalog about such a service.

Thanks, Jim Skeel

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Joe Kuhn had it done. If you address a post to him I'm sure he will tell you his contact.

Neil

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I think Kevin Lewis at Downrange Manufacturing will do this.

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Kevin does indeed offer P&V testing. Call him at 402-463-3415 so he can explain the procedure.

Morgan

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

how is the shipping handled?

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

maclellan

UPS will ship it.

Can't go USPS.

You need to tell UPS what you're shipping. It gets an ORM-D sticker.

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The legal way to do it is to send the shells UPS labeled "ORM-D: Small Arms Cartridges". I print my own labels and tape them on. There's no extra charge for shipping, though. It's done strictly by distance, weight and dimensions. A package of 20 shells costs me about $10 to ship.

FedEx will also ship small arms ammo under the same terms and conditions as UPS. I don't know the rates. I've just always used UPS.

USPS will not ship ammo although people will send it anyway figuring that the postal inspectors won't find out. It's not any cheaper and UPS will send you terminal-by-terminal progress reports on the shipment/

Morgan

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Tom Armbrust in McHenry, IL is who Joe Kuhn used for our shell testing.

Jay Spitz

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Tom's articles are linked above.

I've got a thread here somewhere for Tom. Let me look.

10. nipper

nipper TS Member

Sorry, why not save 30.00 and just use the 100s if not 1000s of published data loads,am i missing something here??

Bill

11. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

" Sorry, why not save 30.00 and just use the 100s if not 1000s of published data loads,am i missing something here??"

Yes, you are...

When you load to a published formula, do you get the same pressure and velocity using your loader and technique that was obtained when that data was tested under obviously-conditions? How do you know?

Most, if not all, of the existing published load data is ancient; it hasn't been updated in years and some of the testing equipment has been improved since it was. There have been products brought to market for which there is no published data. Shooters who want to use these products singly or in combination are left with only "guesstimates" from those who should know better of the compensations necessary to substitute these components in published data. Guesses and projections just don't cut it. When dealing with component combinations for which there is no precise data, the people with common sense take the precaution of spending a few extra dollars to find out exactly what they've got.

Morgan

12. joe kuhn

In our case we needed some testing done because we bought a wad from overseas for steel shot that had no American powders on the load sheets.

Luckily Tom is an hour away from us in IL, so we met him in the spring and had a great time assisting and learning. Yes there is a cost, but we wanted a nice range of loads and tacked on a surcharge to the wads and shot our club resells to cover the costs.

Published data gives you a starting point.

Hodgdon came out with published loads after we did this - but our wad is not included...

Here's the info from a former thread:

Tom Armbrust, Ballistic Research, 1108 W. May Avenue, McHenry, IL 60050-8918, phone: 815.385.0037.

Tom's closed during the IL winter, but said he'll start up again in March. He wants 5 or 6 sample shells. At $5 per it's one heck of an option if you're tempted to vary the recipe. Otherwise, stick to the published data. You might want to weigh the powder and the shot.

13. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Larry Nailon will do it also, Clearview Products, OKC. 405-943-9222, He's closed Fridays.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Nipper,

By the data tables, a load I am using should have been 1-1/8 ounces of shot going 1235 fps with a pressure near 10,500 psi.

As-tested, it was right at 1200 fps and less than 10,000 psi.

I just wanted to know, and now I do.

15. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks for all the information.

I want to have my sporting clays load tested. It is not in any published reloading data. I am using an Estate hull with the fiber base wad and a Gualandi wad. It measures 1150 fps on my chronograph. I am curious if my chrono data is accurate and I would like to know the pressure.

I will try Larry Nailon unless he is too spendy. I have always liked his papers on reloads.

Jim Skeel

16. joe kuhn

Tom Armbrust explained to us that he shoots SAAMI test shells in his pressure gun and then receives from SAAMI an adjustment factor that has to be added or subtracted to every result he records. The factor is based on averages from all the guns tested. If your set up is above average you'd subtract. If you're below average, you add.

This is why we invest in ballistics testing.

The SAAMI website is listed above.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.