1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with XT combo

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

did you clean this gun when bought new. 1st thing you should do with any gun is strip it down and clean it. They tend to use anti-corrosion componds more than actual lube.

2. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

ertz,,I had the same problem,,,I had to "set" the trigger in a way you might set a "release" trigger,,(by pulling it several times until I felt it set). We found a "spur" on the trigger mech. that was not allowing it to set. Cleaned it up and have not had THAT problem again. Now it is not hitting the primer in the lower barrel (single or double) hard enought to set it off (15 out of the last 1100 rounds), but will fire in upper barrel, or another gun. Gunsmith said he has done all he can to cure the problem, and I have the max. extention on lower firing pen (.030 in.), new hammer springs, cleaned and adjusted ect. I am not looking forward to shipping it to Browning because of the 6-9 months turn around time. Anyone else had this problem, or have an idea on a fix?

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

When I first got my XT it was very stiff, like most new Browning O/U's. But I bought it used, and the previous owner had had the trigger pull lightened to about 3 pounds.
    Probably because of the work on the sear, I was able to open the gun enough to put a shell in the lower barrel but yet not cock the hammer. Since the gun does not have a floating firing pin, when I closed the gun it would fire. It did this more than once. It was necessary to fully open the action to cock the hammer. To say this is a dangerous situation is an understatement.

4. willing

willing Member

Dick
    The lower firing pin has a spring whitch retracts the firing pin. You may have had something in there. I have had a minor problem with the lower barrel not firing. I have replaced the hammer springs with Wolf springs. The consensus in my area is that it is reloads with oversized primer(Noble) which are driven into the 1st fired reloadsa(brass heads) a little too far. My gunsmith thinks its because the hammers are pivoted from below the pins and that the lower hammer has a shorter distance to swing. I have NEVER had the problem with factory loads.
    Bill

5. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

maclellan1911, After reading your post, I decided to tear my new XT Combo with Adj. comb(Sep 07)down. After removing the butt pad I realized that I need a long allen wrench to remove the stock. Any idea what size allen wrench is needed? I think Beretta uses a 6mm allen. Thx, Darren

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

All I know is page seven of the citori's owners manual. This stuff gets nasty with age.

7. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Darren, the size you need for the long handled hex wrench is 5 mm. I just bought one for my XT for $10 at our State Shoot. It now resides in my shooting bag with my other tools! Lisa is correct though, the Perazzi wrench is the right one, if you need to borrow one from someone before you get your own. That's how I fixed mine.

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Browning should have designed the Citori with mechanical triggers from the start...Winchester did it with the 101..and had a much superior product...

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

the retainer screw on the sjector can work loose

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=100_0156.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> looking at the barrel asembly from the side. move the ejector back and forth. Look into the slot. you will see a flat head screw. picture is of removed ejector and screw.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

my Dad has tought me through my early years most gun problems are from dirty guns. Clean it and when you think its clean clean it again. My dad would always take any gun I cleaned and place the metal/action and put in a container filled with acetone. "You think your gun is clean huh", as the fluid turns dark. A spec of crud in the wrong place, places normally not seen is a problem waiting to happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.